Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

new scenario: where to host?

For the last several months a close friend and I have been working on three scenarios for CM:BO. The first of these is now finished, and I am looking for somewhere to host it.

Below is a copy of the objectives we had in mind in creating these scenarios.

1). Our first goal has been to create villages/towns that better reflect those in western Europe most often encountered by soldiers in 1944-1945. In large part because of the limits of the CM:BO engine (the large and square size of the tiles), towns in CM:BO tend to lack a western European look and feel. The engine limitations often lead to extremely linear towns, with overly large spaces between buildings, and neatly placed along expansive boulevards (not unlike SL/ASL). The result in game-play terms is that infantry are more vulnerable in a town, and tanks less vulnerable, than they were in fact.

In order to correct these problems we have resorted to a variety of "tricks" in order to give villages and towns (a) a more constrictive environment for vehicles and (B) better cover for infantry. These tricks will become apparent to the player upon examining the scenarios. Thus, *for example*, we are fully aware that all towns do not have tree lined streets in them, but we have used tree lined roads - as an abstraction - to restrict vision and maneuver, and because buildings cannot be placed one against another.

2). Our second goal has been to produce scenarios that provide the player with a more "grand tactical" game, but without overloading him/her with so many units that they cannot be managed with nuance and attention to detail. One of the reasons that we had ceased to play large/huge scenarios was due to a piece density that was so high it prevented us from caring about individual units. Worse, the sheer size of some scenarios tended to detract from the intensity of gameplay, since, in head to head games, it could take hours to plot moves.

3). Our third, last, and most important goal has been to provide scenarios that have high REPLAYABILITY. One of the drawbacks to a scenario balanced for players with no knowledge of the opposing forces is that once it has been played, balance is compromised; players will know exactly what forces their opponent has and where they are deployed. Knowing this, we made the choice to balance the scenarios for players WHO WILL KNOW WHAT EQUIPMENT THEY ARE FACING, and, more generally, WHERE those forces are located. Yet we are certainly aware that fog of war and the need for reconnaissance help make CM:BO extremely enjoyable, and we are not trying to throw that away. Thus, we have built the scenarios in such a manner that DESPITE this high level of knowledge, it will be CRITICAL for a player to do good reconnaissance. Failure to do so will cost him/her the game.

A. Lassner and J. Hass

Hmmm I would say if you want exposure for your work, you have to consider Admiral Keths Scenario Depot the premier site for hosting scenarios 1027 scenarios are listed here, 494 have been reviewed & there are WOPPING 1497 individual reviews !!! As of 4/6

Do you mind sending me copy? I would love taking a look smile.gif

[ April 10, 2002, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Bigdog ]