Suggestions for final game/v 1.1

derb

I didn't see any topics about improving CM:BB yet - I know it is excellent but it isn't (quite) perfect! I'll start things off...

It is my fault for not suggesting this earlier in the original CM but how about a screen where you can view your whole order of battle at a glance and see their morale, whether they are dead etc and/or click directly on the unit you want instead of having to go forward and backward between units until you find the right one and/or scroll around the map.

[ September 02, 2002, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: derb ]

I recall this being altogether scrapped quite some time ago. IIRC it was a divided issue amongst the players and BFC (BTS? - whatever) was against it in the end.

In any case, don't go looking for it because it won't be there. On one hand, it'd be handy. On the other hand, I'm glad it's not there. The game already gives the "commander" (i.e. you) tons of information that would not have been available.

Originally posted by derb:

It is my fault for not suggesting this earlier in the original CM but how about a screen where you can view your whole order of battle at a glance and see their morale, whether they are dead etc and/or click directly on the unit you want instead of having to go forward and backward between units until you find the right one and/or scroll around the map.

I suggested something like this a couple of years ago.

Michael

Since CMBO I've wanted to assign crews back to abandoned guns.

My gun crews just tends to abandon their gun too easily and everyone is just aboots around the gun, while lone tank keeps soldiers around.

In last game at Yelnia, my both Pak 36's were lost to abandoning, both times crews were intact.

then they just layed aboots next to their guns and T34's happily roaming in the horizont.

Before going down, they did smash most of the T34's.

A crew leaving their gun and running for their lifes are supposed to destroy the gun. At least they would destroy the optics. So it is not just a matter of walking back to your gun a few minutes later and start firing again. Not in the scope of a single battle anyway.

Originally posted by Warphead-:

A crew leaving their gun and running for their lifes are supposed to destroy the gun. At least they would destroy the optics. So it is not just a matter of walking back to your gun a few minutes later and start firing again. Not in the scope of a single battle anyway.

A crew who had been ordered to spike their gun would spike it, sure. If they were "running for their lives" I doubt that they'd have time to do so.

Within the scope of a single battle, though, there is no reason at all that the detachment shouldn't take cover in their shelter trench when the fire becomes too heavy, and return to the gun when it needs to come into action again. Read an account of the Rifle Brigade's action at Outpost Snipe for a description of this. Likewise, if the original detachment are all shot down at their posts, there is no reason that the gun should not be manned by someone else.

I'm afraid we are up against the design limitation of treating the gun-and-detachment as a single entity. I hope this will be changed at some future date; but coding for collaboration of distinct entities in the way that would be required is bound to take a deal of thinking. I imagine that enabling one entity to use another as an instrument in this fashion, or more generally, enabling entities to colaborate in specified ways, might also help with coding multi-turret tanks, dismountable cavalry, Goliaths, and perhaps even enable the AI to handle APCs and assault boats.

All the best,

John.