Did anything like this happen in the western front, ever?

I was dabbling with artillery, something we usually don't have in big quantities in CM:BO. Remembering a JasonC test with the Nebelwerfers that are being discussed again, I tried out a bunch of 210mm rockets against an Ami battallion fortifying a village. It was quite fun, and the damage inflicted was positively serious. Werfers are a lot of fun you are not trying to nail a squad with them, but instead cripple a larger force. My fantasy mind play for this scenario went like this:

A fast Allied advance, perhaps a while after the Normandy invasion, is threatening to cut a large German force off from retreating. The allies have achieved a breakthrough, cutting SE, and a road/railway used to transport troops and armor back to western Germany / easter France is cut. The Germans don't have much time to break a possible encirclement.

Advancing SS infantry find a sizeable village with a major road being occupied by an Ami infantry battallion, and spot some howitzers and a AA guns being unloaded from trucks... Getting this village and opening the road is vital if the German forces want to keep retreating, but infantry, enough to take on a battallion, is still too far west to make it in time and bad weather and allied bombers are slowing down motorized units... The resources available is an ad-hoc force of SS infantry, some armor that is yet to arrive and... All the artillery the command can muster.

Basically the scenario idea is to attack with a small, desperate force with reserves trickling in, a force fighting to break encirclement and open the road for the units coming behind, with a big artillery strike as the key to success. All the ammo and guns available are allotted to this assault.

Does this sound completely outlandish? I'm interested if anyone knows about a situation even remotely like the one I was thinking about above.

Scouting the enemy positions and delivering a hellish barrage to open a path. Woooo... Could make for a fun scenario.

I think if you're talking about a Falaise style situation, all the elements would have been there for such a break-out battle....except the massed artillery.

Given the massive attrition on German vehicles, supplies and guns taken by Allied arty and fighter bombers during the Normandy campaign, I don't think any German commanding a scratch battle group would have been able to call on artillery strikes like you're imagining.

Originally posted by Affentitten:

I think if you're talking about a Falaise style situation, all the elements would have been there for such a break-out battle....except the massed artillery.

Given the massive attrition on German vehicles, supplies and guns taken by Allied arty and fighter bombers during the Normandy campaign, I don't think any German commanding a scratch battle group would have been able to call on artillery strikes like you're imagining.

Yep, that is quite how I understand it went...

AFAIK, Germans had quite poor artillery resources during the Battle of the Bulge too, even more so in the end.

Damnit. At what point DID the Germans have artillery to drop on the Allies? ;)

Originally posted by Ligur:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Affentitten:

Yep, that is quite how I understand it went...

AFAIK, Germans had quite poor artillery resources during the Battle of the Bulge too, even more so in the end.

Damnit. At what point DID the Germans have artillery to drop on the Allies? ;) </font>