Voodoo 3 on Macs-Blank screen issue

I have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card and when Combat Mission 1.0.1 is run, it works great up until I get on the batteflield, at which point the screen is blank or mostly blank with blue lines or halos slightly visible.

This appears to be a known problem, however, I had a hard time finding info on solving it, so here is my solution.

The problem seems to be with the latest(b12) Voodoo3 RAVE driver.

I found that by installing an old Voodoo2 RAVE driver(1.0d15) everything works.

Obviously this is a bug and hopefully will be fixed.

I grabbed the Voodoo2 RAVE driver from Voodoo Extreme in the drivers section, which points to here:

<url>http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=37</url>

I only installed the 1.0d15 3dfx RAVE extension, leaving all the other voodoo 3 b12 extensions installed (have to be able to play Unreal Tournament as well).

I have a blue and white G3 350, but I imagine this will fix the same problem on other macs, as it is driver related.

Hope this helps everyone with this frustrating problem.

Now, if I could just get my tanks to crest the hill only when the Panzers are reloading...

Not so fast, sleuth. I predict that if you remove the Voodoo2 driver, you have the same result. In other words, you have no hardware acceleration. Transparency is the give-away.

The Mac Voodoo5 will fully support CM. After MacWorld, the 3dfx team will get some sleep and then turn the V5 drivers into b13 for the Voodoo3.