You like looking over you shoulder?

A couple of weeks ago there was a discussion re Archer tactics... a couple of guys asked if there was a scenario for the Archer... Now there are: go to Scenario Depot and download Arsefire! or e-mail me and I'll send it along

betrim@xsinet.co.za

Battle Name: Arsefire!

Version:1.3

Turns:20

Date: Sept 44

Weather: Clear

Time: Day

Ground Conditions: Dry

Defender Dig in: Y

Attacker: Axis

Scenario Type: Fictional

Best Played as: British against AI

Play next as: 2 player

Computer should: Be Free to place

Author Name: Johan 'Biltong' Brittz

Author e-mail: betrim@xsinet.co.za

Author Comments: ...few players appreciate the deadly beauty of Archers used correctly...

Thanx guys - Admiral, your AAR was a pleasant surprise - esp since you chose to take it from the Axis side... That makes me think that the scenario might be more than likely also be suitable for 2 player or PBEM.

Panther G - you're right - the stacking is a bit obvious.. I love giving a spread of experience to different units - forces you to think and plan and more than likely it's quite realistic looking at the turnover in the average unit... However Elite/Crack/Vet/Reg is a bit obvious :)

The fact that both of you had a hard time playing from opposite sides sounds good.... Or is the alloted time a bit short?

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Biltong ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Biltong:

The fact that both of you had a hard time playing from opposite sides sounds good.... Or is the alloted time a bit short?

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Biltong ]<hr></blockquote>

I played as Allies vs. AI, and the germans didn't have enough time to get to the flags. I would recommend 30 turns as a good time.

Regards,

Ryan

Thanx Ryan,

I believe you - reason being there used to be only one flag - where the small one is now... I changed the map and added the extra flag further back to enable the Archers to have more terrain to fall back to - i.e. use their scoot tactics to the full... Only problem is I forgot to increase the number of rounds to accomodate the extra flag/terrain that needs to be conquered... U-hum: Old age; new year booze; 4 kids; phones ringing all the time; summer heat; pretty topless girls on the beach; take your pick - mind not working too well at the moment smile.gif

I played this and it was a really interesting and fun scenario, which I played as Allies vs. the AI. I was surprised at how effective the Archer was as an anti-armor weapon. The AI chose some rather dubious tactics, too, so by the end of the scenario their were smoking German AFVs and HTs all over the board. The main thing is just to remember to order reverse when you want to point your gun forward.