Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Korsun Relief

Anyone try this one and have any suggestions for a new fella on playing the Russian defence?

I am getting my armor destroyed like there is no tomorrow. I have all of these great tank destroyers and some 152s and cannot get them into a tactical position; they get exposed and wiped out! The 84s are like butter in this mission!

It's wierd because there is so much armor given for this one, but getting them up over the hill and into a prime hulldown spot exposes them to the amazingly acurate German armor - and they seem to always nail me...

Tough scenario for the russians, wide open map, veteran tigers and panthers.

Don't try to engage the german armor at long range, your tanks will get knocked out all the time by the accurate german fire and your chances of penetration at that range are slim.

Better strategy would be to hide behind the hill and setup an ambush. The nazis have to come over that one road over the hill to capture the flags. As they cross the map, your aircaft should be able to knock out 5-7 tanks (at least, that's what happened to me :mad: )By the time they see your tanks, they will be at a very close range where your numerical superiority will be more of a factor.

Historically, the germans preferred long range duels where they could knock out soviet tanks at their leisure, while the russians preferred close in fights where it was hard to miss and their shells could penetrate german armor. The same tactics work in the game.

Oops! New to the list - did not think about the spoiler aspect of my post!! Sorry - will remember that one!

So more ***Spoilers*** below:

Thanks for the details JC_Hare! I tried the ambush the first time I ran the scenario but made the mistake of trying a few pot shots (to say the least) and strategies along the way - so by the time the German advance reached my ambush (no longer a real secret ambush either...) the "turns left" was well past 30 and after a couple rounds ended in a draw! I think I will hide the entire time to entice them to quickly advance I might be able to snag them as you suggest!

Thanks!!