Citadel as the Soviets

V

Originally posted by demoss:

For the record, I've managed to spot enemy AT assets before they opened fire (and had it done to me - I think - as well). Heck, I've managed to knock them out before they opened fire OR I spotted them! Area fire is your friend.

It's interesting how this scenario plays out after a few tries - at first, I was having more trouble with the left flank (from the German perspective), but now that I've figured it out I'm having more trouble with the right. Not being able to drive through OR swing left of those trees limits my options dramatically, and I'm not entirely sure what to do about it.

My first and only try with this one as the Germans, I had no idea what lay ahead of me. So I kept the Mk IV's right where they were and sent the 2 platoons of Mk III's forward on each flank...

As they advanced, the IV's provided great overwatch positions, so when a ATG popped up to take a shot at the III's, the IV's would lay dvestating fire upon them.

the cover arc worked really well there.

I also kept the IV's back because I figured if the III's got ambushed and mauled, I would still have the whole platoon of IV's to finish the job.

The AI also, stupidly, crested the first hill with its KV's and were destroyed one by one

I finally got a total victory as Sovs in Citadel. My setup was pretty similar to Mikes, though I arrived at it independantly.

3 ATGs in extreme right front woods. Vets and Regs. Pointing backwards!

3 ATGs in extreme left front woods. Vets and Regs. Pointing backwards!

4 ATGs in the objective woods in front of the old river bed. Greens. Pointing to the right. 4 Maxims intersperced among them.

2 ATGS on the "mesa" overlooking the riverbed. Pointing forwards. 2 Maxims intersperced among them.

3 ATRs at the secondary crossroads.

5 ATRs at the primary crossroads.

All 4 THTs in the big woods behind the ATGs.

The Major in the woods with C&C to all the guns, teams, and all but one Maxim.

Finally, the KVs are perched just below the military crest of the spur of high ground projecting into the river bed behind those woods.

The forward deployed ATGs accounted for 1 PzIII and 1 PzIV knocked out (the HQ, YES!), 2 PzIIIs and 2 PzIVs abandoned. All these ATGs got knocked out. One vet on the left was redeployed to get a shot across the map before it was knocked out. The ATG crews took out one of the panzer crews, but didn't collect more due to MG fire from a PzIII that was immobilized up the map later on.

This forward ambush was critical. The Germans left wing was stalled in the engagement, while the center-right moved on into the real kill zone. 3 PzIIIs (1 brewed) and 1 PzIV were knocked out between the woods ATGs, the "mesa" ATGs, and the KVs playing shoot-and-scoot. No losses.

Everybody went back to hiding for the next group. This one was tougher, coming down the right-side. They took out the two "mesa" ATGs and two woods ATGs. But I brought the KVs around behind them via the riverbed while intermittantly firing and hiding the remaining ATGs. Turning back and forth to engage the ATGs, then the KVs, gave flank and rear opportunites. Each KV took out a one PzIII. The Maxims did good buttoning up duty the whole time. I never felt confident enough to send my tank hunters out into the fray. But in the end, it wasn't needed nor did any of the ATRs fire a shot. Auto surrender on turn 40-something, with one immobile PzIII left crewed.

84-16 Total Victory :D

Whopping 45 black-clad POWs. :D

16 Sov casualties with 4 KIA and only 2 ATGs left. :(

Originally posted by Bruce70:

I also consider overly using the edges gamey (although the trees on the left are obviously meant to be used). Thats why I set up in the centre on the reverse slope - worked just as well anyway.

IMO there's nothing gamey about it at all - any actions off teh map edge are behing "handled" by other forces of both sides - your job is to protect a given corridor/area/route/site, not to worry about what else is happening on the front line!

Trust to your comrades and brothers in arms to do their jobs, and you get on with doing your own! smile.gif

Originally posted by GriffinCheng+:

I figure out that one of the problem is, after relocating your troops, one has to issue the "dig-in" command or the unit is still relatively easy to spot.

Thanks for reminding me. I had completely forgotten about this command and assumed that defending units were automatically dug in as they are in CMBO.

It would be nice if the graphic of the units would change to show their status in the set up phase after you give the command.

Michael