Embarking/Disembarking

(I originally posted a draft on the Combat Mission general forum by mistake, here is a more complete draft)

Well I've done more tests on guns embarking and disembarking. and this is some of what I observed. This test was conducted using regular type troops. Guns are defined as any type of weapon platform able to be towed.

Guns will embark onto the transport into towed position regardless of the transport facing (i.e. there is no need to 'back' up to the gun). No other waypoints are allowed from a gun with an embark order, except a straight embark path between it and the transport. NOTE: the command delay of the transport and the gun unit can effect embarking. Guns will embark instantaneously (after command delay) to the tranport if the transport is not moving and 5m or less away. REMEMBER: It's the gun embarking the transport, not the other way around, so the pause command might be needed to insure the transports availablity. The gun unit will sit idle if the transport unit is not in embarkation range and moving.

Towed guns will execute Disembark orders instantly if the target transport is stopped and the disembark position is within 29m of the transport (the LOS tool from the tranport may help to determine this, as LOS checks are not allowed from an embarked unit) .

This stoppage can be from a 'Pause' Command to the transport at the start of a turn, or completely new orders for the transport, or from the delay between old orders and new if the disembarking gun has a disembark waypoint plotted within 29m of the last old transport waypoint. ALSO NOTE: that a reverse order for the transport that is within 29m of the disembark waypoint of the towed gun is considered to be a stoppage and will cause the gun to disembark and the transport to pause for a disembarking delay. There seems to be a 5m offset from the transport , to the rear of the transport that the towed gun will displace into (even into terrain restricted from vehicle movement, like heavy woods).

There was a delay placed on the transport for a disembark. The delay is around 45 seconds to the transport (a command time delay is added also). A transport unit under a movement order previously and ordered to 'pause', to execute a disembark order was observed as having less of a benefit (not completely tested) as opposed to issuing whole new orders for the transport.

;)

[ 05-23-2001: Message edited by: Radar ]

Answer to Joesky:

No doubt guns are more effective under C&C. I rarely have a gun out of C&C if not never. They will benefit from the bonuses that the platoon or company HQ has and will definitely stay alive longer under fire due to their morale being positively effected by being under command. I usually situate guns near a platoon HQ with either stealth or combat bonuses (combat bonuses seem to make them more accurate). Or I use a company HQ to keep one or mulitple guns under C&C. At any rate I always try to keep ALL units under C&C, there is no reason not to except for long range recon units like sharpshooters. ;)

• 1 month later...