Quick thought

I was surfing around the net today, in one the links on the Resources page, more specifically under Groglinks and the Olive-Drab website. After looking at some pretty cool pics of vehicles I moved onto firearms and I read something cool.

According to this website the M-1 Carbine was used as an alternative for crews and officers to the Colt 1911. Now I know some of the troops in the CM series carry Carbines, but the crews in the game just carry "Pistols".

I probably should have put this under the "What do you want to see in CMX2?" post because it is in fact a suggestion, but then again its also a question. Did the CM team ever consider giving some crews Carbines in addition to or instead of pistols? Or is this information I read incorrect, or what? Just curious.

EDIT: A little linkie here: http://www.olive-drab.com/od_other_firearms_rifle_m1carbine.php3

ANOTHER EDIT: After further research I've read that it was pretty much just issued to troops off the frontlines and such, or so it seems. But that raises another question for me: What was the point of issuing the Carbines to the crews that didn't need them? Sites I am reading say it was tested in lots of combat during WWII, so I'm thinking paratroopers and as one site says "company grade officers". I dunno, I'm just curious, I think it would be cool to add it to the game, and I'm still curious why it was never implemented in the first place. Perhaps to discourage a player from using crews as regular infantry or scouts? Help me out here. I'm no expert...

[ August 23, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Major Concussion ]

IRL, most US tank crews carried at least one M1 carbine and/or M3 "Grease Gun." From what I've read, some lucky ones even managed to end up with a Thompson or two. I've also often seen pics of tanks with a Garand or two strapped to the turret. I'm pretty sure German crews also carried an MP40 or two. Remember tank crews are also responsible for guarding their vehicles when not on the move, etc., so they need some kind of at least moderately effective small arm around.

I wouldn't mind seeing tank crews given these weapons, but if so the game needs to also model that tank crews usually aren't very well trained as infantry, and are also usually too valuable to waste as second-rate footsoldiers. Also rememeber there wasn't always time to grab secondary weapons (or ammo for same!) when bailing out.

Basically, a tank crew shouldn't come tearing out of a disabled sherman with all the fighting ability of an SMG half-squad. . .

Cheers,

YD

Ah, I see. But, I mean, hypothetically lets say, the tank or other vehicle is Abandoned rather than Knocked Out and burning? Then they could grab those weapons unless of course its abandoned because a Tiger is barreling down the road. And even then, after a crew has bailed out they get that little "!" symbol which means they become routed easier and they are always reluctant to fight, preferring to flee. Obviously to discourage people to use them as scouts or regular troopers. But having said this, even with an occassional crew of say 6 carrying 2 carbines, they would still be ineffective in fighting or scouting. Its just I don't like the fact my crews are so helpless all the time after bailing out (not that it happens often :-p). :(

[ August 23, 2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Major Concussion ]