Grog question on 24 May 1940

Hans

The British launched some counter-attacks at the west side of Amiens. Does anyone know which German unit was in Amiens at that time? The city had been taken on May 20th by the 1st Panzer but they had moved on. I suspect an Infantry Division(s) was protecting the bridgehead - any idea which unit this was?

Hans

From Skalman.nu

13. Infanterie-Division (mot) was redesignated 13. Panzer-Division Oct 1940.

Commanders

Generalleutnant Moritz von Faber du Faur (1 Sep 1939 - 6 Sep 1939)

General der Infanterie Paul Otto (6 Sep 1939 - 1 Nov 1939)

Generalleutnant Friedrich-Wilhelm von Rotkirch

und Panthen (1 Nov 1939 - 11 Oct 1940)

Area of operations

Poland (Sep 1939 - May 1940)

France (May 1940 - Oct 1940)

Order of battle (Sep 1939)

Staff

13. Mapping Detachment (mot)

13. Motorcycle Messenger Platoon (mot)

33. Infantry Regiment (mot)

Signals Platoon

3 x Battalion (mot)

3 x Company

Heavy Company

Panzerabwehr Company

Infantry Gun Company

Light Infantry Supply Column

66. Infantry Regiment (mot)

Signals Platoon

3 x Battalion (mot)

3 x Company

Heavy Company

Panzerabwehr Company

Infantry Gun Company

93. Infantry Regiment (mot)

Signals Platoon

3 x Battalion (mot)

3 x Company

Heavy Company

Panzerabwehr Company

Infantry Gun Company

13. Panzerabwehr Battalion

Signals Platoon (mot)

3 x Company (mot)

6 / 46. Heavy Machine Gun Battalion

13. Reconnaissance Battalion

Signals Platoon (mot)

Motorcycle Company

Armored Car Company

13. Artillery Regiment

3 x Battalion

3 x Battery

Artillery Observation Battalion

13. Feldersatz Battalion

3 x Company

13. Signals Battalion

Radio Company (mot)

Telephone Company (mot)

Signals Supply Column (mot)

4. Pioneer Battalion

3 x Company (mot)

Brüko B (mot)

Pioneer Supply Column

Supply & Support Units

Reference material on this unit

Dieter Hoffmann - Die Magdeburger Division: Zur Geschichte der 13. Infanterie- und 13. Panzer-Division 1935 - 1945

... completing the roster above would be:

- Inf.Rgt.33 (mot.) was surrendered to PD 4 on october 18th, 1939. The division thereafter had only two infantry regiments. But they did have three heavy comppanies each, not one.

- In addition to the Aufklärungsabteilung 13 mentioned, there was a Kradschützenbataillon 43. Raised in october 1939, it was not present in september, thus not on the list, but participated in France.

- In september 1939 there was a fourth artillery battallion (maybe the reference to 3 batteries above), namely the divisional heavy Bn (i.e. 15cm), the I./49. However, by May 1940 one medium battallion had been surrendered to AR74 and the I./49. taken its place, constituting the new III./AR13. It follows that battallions I. and II. were 10,5cm, III was 15cm.

- The Panzer-Abwehr-Abteilung 13 was renamed Panzerjäger-Abteilung 13 in March 21st 1940. The MG company assigned as 4th company of the battallion was not from MG-Btl 46, but from MG-Btl 66. The MG 66 was from Mainz in WKXI, neighbour to WKXII where 13th division was from. MG 46 was from Münster, down in WKVI, and its companies were issued to divisions 6, 26, 41, 16, 19 and 31 in chronological order. Furthermore it was 3./66, not sixth company.

- The artillery observation battallion should read artillery observation detachment.

As for equipment, these were lorried infantry in May 1940. Historically correct unit in CMAK is "Rifle", not motorised rifle. You can buy rifle battallions as-is. In addition will be the 13th (I.G.) company of 6 le.I.G. and 2 s.I.G., comprising 108 men and lorries. Plus 14th (Pak) company of 12 towed 37mm Pak. Theres the (bayonet part of the) regiment.

At divisional level, the Pionier battallion can be bought as-is in CMAK, not precisely historically correct but endurably accurate. The antitank battallion consisted of 5cm Pak, towed, 36 of them, plus a MG company consisting of 3 platoons of 3 heavy machineguns each, plus one platoon with 81mm mortars. The recon battalllion organisation is listed above (the armoured car company containing three platoons of 4 PSW 221 and 4 PSW 222 each, the motorcycle company is best (historically) represented by using "motorised rifle" CMAK company). The Kradschützen battallion is best represented using a "motorised rifle" CMAK battallion minus one company (not the heavy one). The artillery is best represented by off board artillery, two battallions (3 batteries each of 12 pieces) 10,5cm, one battery 15cm.

The men were from the Magdeburg general area, and most divisional units were recruited in or around the city. The infantry regiments were from Burg (66) and Stendahl (93rd) tho. The geographical oddity of the division being the former I./47, by May 1940 called III./A.R.13., the men being from Dessau. And the machinegunners from Mainz.

Let me know if you need any specifics.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Oops, I see I made some embarrassing typos there.

First of all I write that the motorcycle companies (in the Aufkl.Abt, and in the Kradsch.Btl) are most correctly illustrated using Motorised Rifle. That should be Motorised Recon.

Second, I write there was one battery of 15cm. That should be one battallion, of three batteries.

Sorry about that.

Cheerio

Dandelion

Originally posted by Dandelion:

Oops, I see I made some embarrassing typos there.

First of all I write that the motorcycle companies (in the Aufkl.Abt, and in the Kradsch.Btl) are most correctly illustrated using Motorised Rifle. That should be Motorised Recon.

Second, I write there was one battery of 15cm. That should be one battallion, of three batteries.

Thanks I caught the one on the artillery myself, thanks for the update

Sorry about that.

Cheerio

Dandelion