Loss of Control

Catch

I just received my copy of CMAK, and several times in scenarios I lose control of my men. After the setup phase I give movement orders to my forces and hit the "go" button. Well my troops go and they keep going off the edge of the map. As this is happening the timer does not advance. Has anyone else experienced this in their game?

I've had it happen when the PC hasn't been rebooted in awhile. The timer changed itself to some ungodly number of seconds (ca 14,000). It was amusing to see a whole troop of Shermans advance into, through, and beyond what I knew was a nest of Tigers. They kept going, with no enemy spotted anywhere, and were last seen charging pell-mell toward Berlin.

I rebooted the PC and loaded up the "autosave" and was able to run the turn as it should have played out; e.g. copious amounts of smoke, cursing and widespread use of the reverse gear....

=]

Various versions of Windows have bugs in the timer routines that would have counters doing integer overflow after too much uptime.

A true trivia of the Linux/Windows boom, BTW. There is always the "uptime wars" where people say "I didn't reboot my Unifoobar OS 12.8.2 in over a year". The Windows people happily competed. Later Microsoft officially said the uptime of those Windows version could not possibly be more than [forgot exact number] days. Nice embarrasment. These days a high uptime only means you forgot to apply your security patches.

[ February 25, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: redwolf ]