Need Help Countering Larger Art Assaults

Ok, my cousin and I always play. Im normally the axis, hes ofcourse, the allies (Americans 95% of the time) anyway, he ALWAYS has big guns, like 8inchers, and 14 naval cannons, and they always seem to take out a third of my force. if anyone has a good idead of how to counter that artillary assult, it would be VERY helpful. i was thinking of putting afew guys up front to make him thnk my front lines were there, when in fact there 250-500 meters away. what you think. i think hes being really cheap cause how many freakin times has 14 inch guns aiming at a company of germans in a battalion size fight. maybe im wrong. but any advise would be nice.

one suggestion: put in some rules that limits large arty on both sides. or buy arty to whack his FOs, or better still doan buy troopers, just tanks.

but if you have to buy troopers, then, spreading them out and using feints would be key, remember, the most injuries done to troops in WWII were Artillery/Motars though most of them were not fatal.

slightly off topic, in CMBB, there is a feature for Turn one arty. And if the enemy is within the AI LOS then Turn One arty would be quite certain to be within the vincinity of the Enemy. The trick was to put a lone half-squad in some obscure position to deflect the arty from the main body. Perhaps it could work here against your evil cousin.

[ July 09, 2003, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: laxx ]

Suggest playing at a later date, when naval arty is not available.

Give him his own medicine; germans also have nice arty assets. Try the rockets.

If he buys such expensive guns, then he will have less infantry or tanks. Try to spread your forces, avoiding obvious locations (victory flags, buildings, large forests). You don't need to be physically there to control them; often it is enough to have lines of fire to deny access. Keep a mobile reserve that can strike when it is needed, but that would be difficult to target with arty. And, if the opportunity arises counterattack to close in with his forces.

Yep, choose games a few months later when naval support is not available. Also are you using unrestricted forces? Its quite hard to get 14" guns into most games in combined arms ratios so try that. But unless he is defending the trick is to stay mobile. If he's spent 700 points on 14" guns you simply have to deprive him of a target. Going tank heavy is one thing but 14" guns often wipe out tanks anyway. I cant remember the time to fire a 14" gun but I bet its pretty long so dont stay still long enough for him to target you. If defending you have more problems but anyway try and stay mobile, if he has spent 1/3 of his points on artillery he's just given up most of his superiority on numbers. Try closing the range on him - that should suprise him, I dont know many attackers who like finding the defender going after them early in the game. If you can attack one of his flanks hard and fast you have a good chance of being able to break him and he cant use his 14" guns when your men are up close to his without wiping himself out. So if you can get a maop with cover move forward and stop him advancing early.

Thanks for the advice guys, i played him twice since i posted this (one win and one lose)

on the first one, he sent some recon platoons and my light mg-42's cut them to pieces. so he assumed i had a majority of troops there (it was a good defensive posistion) he wasted his 8 inch shells on that, and his other spotter on a town (like one platoon in the town, not my causuties) the second one i lost because he had a freakin pershing and i had a pvz IV (guess who won)but i got so close to his troops he inflicted more causuties on himself w/ arty then me. thanks alot guys