Another great grog find--D.A.K. Online Archives

Thankyou John for your diligence on this forum, I find your posts informative. I'll be checking out this site as I'm keen to find out more about the Afrikakorps.

I've just ordered this book about the Korps;

Afrikakorps

Rommel's Tropical Army

in Original Color

by Bernd Peitz Gary Wilkins

The soldiers fighting in the deserts of North Africa did not fight on a black & white canvas – the war was in color! This book, for the first time ever in print, presents a pictorial chronology of the campaign in Africa and the Deutschen Afrikakorps (DAK) – the German Afrikakorps – the way the soldiers themselves experienced it—the way they lived it: in color. It offers more than 150 photographs derived from what at that time, was revolutionary original color slide film. These pictures portray the leaders, men and equipment of the Afrikakorps from the arrival of its first units in Tripoli, Libya through its astounding advance across the Libyan Desert to Egypt and its eventual withdrawal back to Tunisia after the bitter, lost struggle with the British at El Alamein. Heavy artillery in position, antitank guns firing missions, cooks making dumplings; Panzers on the move, aircraft, weapons and equipment – glimpses into the everyday existence of the Afrikakorps soldier in the wastes of the Libyan Desert and the rugged terrain of Tunisia – all of these are here in the original quality color – with many detailed captions.

This book offers an entirely new view of the war in Africa that will prove a useful reference for veterans, historians, military modelers, re-enactors and militaria collectors alike. As an added bonus, the final section includes color photos of the subsequent events in Sicily and Southern Italy. A brief glossary is also included. This is how the war in Africa was really fought: in color!

In a nutshell, this book contains the most impressive color images we have ever seen of the German Afrika Korps! These are not amature photos, but well-composed photographs by German War photographers. It is a must-have for any AK enthusiast or anyone who appreciates rare color photography from the Second World War.

Size: 11 3/4" x 9", 192 pages, over 200 color and b/w photographs

DonsBoy88,

Glad you find my posts useful and informative. Don't know where you find the book you describe, having never heard of it until now, but it sure looks fascinating. Please let us know if it's as good as the review suggests.

I highly recommend Heckmann's ROMMEL's WAR IN AFRICA

and as a nice well-illustrated overview, FIGHTING THE DESERT FOX, by John Delaney. Where else can you see Italian crewed 88s in action?

Regards,

John Kettler

John, I found this book here;

http://www.rzm.com/top10/top10.cfm

I also brought this title;

http://www.rzm.com/books/fp/fp079.cfm

which I saw highly recommended over at Feldgrau.net

I live in NZ so expect surface mail to take some weeks but I'll let you know what I think of the books when they arrive.

Also another online retailer I frequent has an interesting sale on at the moment.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?-db=nmp_Orders.fp5&-format=nmpweb/frameset.htm&-new

As you can guess it's hard to find niche military books over here so I rely on the internet and great sites like this for information and views.