JonS

Yep, page 209 of Victory in the West, vol I, has a fairly solid paragraph.

John, I also seem to recall someone ... you? ... posting something here about either naval ratings or ship-board Marines coming ashore to assist with the fighting at PeB.

Jon

[ December 19, 2006, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Originally posted by JonS:

Incidentally KF - if you are ever considering doing a D-Day (6th June 1944) scen involving British/CW forces, drop me a line. I have some archival goodness that would probably be most useful, most especially for GOLD but also in a general sense for JUNO or SWORD.

I may have to now that Andres dropped the bomb in the form of an excellent French topo map website.

Got anything on 352nd Div's counterattack on the left flank of Gold beach? Zet shows the Fusilier, StuGs and part of 915th Regt. Brits may be 69th brigade and 4/7 Dragoons.

The German force consisted of the Corps Reserve, namely a reinforced 915th Inf Regt. The 'reinforced' bit seems to have been the attachment of the 352nd Fusil Bn. 1/915, 352 Fusil, and regtl units mounted on French trucks. 2/915 on bicycles. There was no 3/915.

1/915 was detached and attacked around Colleville, at the eastern end of OMAHA.

The remainder of the reinforced 915th plus 1/352 Assault Gun Bn (10 Aslt Guns, presumably the 10 StuG IIIs that Zet identifies) plus 2/916 plus remaining portions of Ost Bn 441 were ordered to vicinity Villers-le-See [sic, probably Villers-le-Sec, on the Seulles 4km SSW of Crepon] with the mission of retaking Crepon. The attack was delayed, and 2/915 never turned up at the FUP.

It finally started at 1430 (presumably German time) and was all over by 1500. The 915th was so badly mauled in this counter attack that the 'remnants' were subordinated to 726th Inf Regt that evening.

Their opponents would have been 69th Bde, which was the left assault bde of 50 Div. 69 Bde Gp consisted of:

* 5th Bn East Yorkshire Rgt,

* 6th Bn Green Howards Rgt,

* 7th Bn Green Howards Rgt,

* 4/7th DGs (less one sqn with 151st Bde),

* 99 Bty 102nd A-Tk Regt (6prs and 3in M-10s),

* pn of 4.2in Mtrs from 2nd Cheshire,

* B(MG) Coy 2nd Cheshires,

* 233rd (Northumbrian) Fd Coy RE,

* 81 Assault Sqn 6th Assault Regt RE (AVsRE),

* 86th Fd Regt RA (25pr SP RAM), and

* C Sqn W Dgns (Sherman Crabs).

After the failure of the German CA, the British continued advancing S to the Seulles, crossed it, and reached positions some 3 kms S of it before halting for the night.

This counter attack is mentioned in the British OH. Ellis says that ...

"... Between Crepon and the Seulles the 69th Brigade met considerable opposition from a battle group of the 352nd Division. Its 915th Grenadier Regiment stationed near Bayeux had been ordered, early that morning, to move westward to deal with a reported airborne landing between the Vire and Carentan. When it proved that no such landing had taken place but that a battalion around Mount Fleury had been overwhelmed, the grenadier regiment was ordered to retrace its steps, to move eastwards and to counter-atttack towards Crepon. On the way back one of its battalions and some assault guns were diverted to oppose the threatened American penetration at Omaha. The rest of the battle group consisting of the 1st Battalion, 915th Regiment, the 35snd Fusilier Battalion and ten guns of the 352nd Anti-tank Battalion reached the country between Villers le Sec and Basenville at about 4pm. In the ensuing fight with the 50th Division, the German Commander was killed and his infantry forced to withdraw across the Seulles, where some were taken prisoner near St. Gabriel by troops of the 69th Brigade who were already south of the river.

An entry in the German Seventh Army log records a 'strong penetration in the area of the 915th Grenadier Regiment east of Bayeux ...' and anoter German account states that only ninety men survived of the battle group engaged. The remnants were attached to the 726th Regiment which was now ordered to establish a line from Coulombs to Asnelles - that is through the country already occupied by the 50th Division! but although this task was obviously beyond their power there was still much mopping up to be done before the area was wholly free of the enemy. Near Crepon, for instance, and '88', four '75's and fifty prisoners were captured from a hidden position in the nearby woods early on the [7th June]

Sources:

* The German Army at D-Day, David Isby[2004], esp The Invasion: The 352nd Infantry Division by Oberstleutenant Fritz Ziegelmann (B-432)

* Normandy 44, Zetterling

* Omaha Beach, Balkoski

* Victory in the West, vol 1, Ellis

Originally posted by JonS:

Yep, page 209 of Victory in the West, vol I, has a fairly solid paragraph.

John, I also seem to recall someone ... you? ... posting something here about either naval ratings or ship-board Marines coming ashore to assist with the fighting at PeB.

Probably me -- there was a "cutting out" mission during the night by matelots from a British and a Polish destroyer against the flak ship in the harbour, and the Royal Marine Commandos reported that they could tell when British sailors were in action from the sound of swearing drifting across the water.

I wasn't aware that Port-en-Bessin even got a mention in the official history, I shall have to get a copy from the library and copy it down.

What few things I have been able to track down to date are mostly very slight, and sometimes I think so slight as to be entirely misleading; there are brief descriptions in Neillands' history of the Royal Marines and St-George Saunders' and Messneger's histories of the Commandos. Far the best single account is that in "Doc" Forfar's "Omaha to the Scheldt": He was the MO of 47. Unfortunately, some lummox at the Admiralty lost the unit war diary for June, so the archives I have been able to see at the PRO are pretty thin as well.

I think this is a great shame, as this action IMHO ranks as an achievement at least as high as the assaults on Pegasus and Horsa bridges, the Pointe du Hoc and the Merville Battery, all of which have been well written-up.

If anyone has anything that will improve on the sources above, I'd be very interested to hear it. I'm aware of the oral history archive at the Hemingway School at Port-en-Bessin, but have had no access to it. Maybe a long research holiday in Normandy is indicated for next year.

All the best,

John.

John, yes, t'was the IFF-by-swearing that I remembered smile.gif

The relevant passage in VitWv1 really isn't all that long. I'll tippity-tap it out in the next couple of days. There are several prior references to 47(RM)Cdo moving across country to PeB, and camping out on Hill 62 (or 72?) a few miles SE of PeB on the night of the 6th/7th, but the actual fighting bit is short.

Jon

Jon,

I tried to respond to your e-mail but had it bounced back. Thanks for the spreadsheet, very nice. Your creation? If so, I need to take you out for a couple of beers, if only to drag you away from the computer.

BTW, check out the scenario discussion forum for the link to the topo site Andreas found. It's the bomb.

Also, what is a 'porpoise' and 'MC Airborne'? Both are listed under type.

Yes, mine. Sort of. With some help. It's a long story. It's based on the official tables, as stolen by Brig Hargest and currently residing in NZ Archives ...

A Porpoise is a sled loaded with ammo and other supplies likely to be needed in the first 24 hours. From what I can make out, the Centaurs dragged them up the beach, then unhitched them whereupon they became a self-help shop for anyone passing by.

MC Airborne is - again as far as I can tell - MotorCycle Airborne, those funny little folding(?) motorbikes the Brits developed. They look a bit like the little 50cc bikes you can get now for kids. The other MC entries are - of course - just a regular motorbike.

Edit: Holy heck - that's a great link! The mixing, matching, and fading of map types is superb!

[ December 20, 2006, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

JDS:

Chapter X. D-DAY: ADVANCE INLAND

56TH DIVISION CLOSE ON BAYEUX, page 209-210

Starting at about eleven o'clock the reserve brigades, the 151st and the 56th, had landed in succession; the whole of the 50th Division was ashore by soon after midday and its task can be seen as a whole. On the right the 231st Brigade was to push westwards in the coastal area, taking Arromanches and the battery at Longues, while the 47th (Royal Marine) Commando went ahead to capture Port en Bessin and join up with Americans from Omaha. On the left, the 69th Brigade was to strike southwards and crossing the Seulles in the St. Gabriel - Creully area to secure the Bayeux Caen road near Ste. Croix Grand Tonne. The reserve brigades were to advance between these two the 56th on the right to Bayeux and beyond it to the river Drome; the 151st the left to seize the Caen road and railway between Bayeux and the Seulles.

By the time le Hamel was finally conquered the 231st Brigade had just taken Ryes and had already occupied the radar station at Arromanches. The battery south of the village had been heavily shelled by the cruiser Emerald and its four 105 mm guns had been abandoned without being fired. The western half of Arromanches was then attacked after bombardment by a destroyer and the 147th Field Regiment, R.A.; the place was taken but was not finally cleared until about nine o'clock that night. The light was fading, Tracy sur Mer was full of enemy snipers, and after la Rosière had been occupied it was decided to postpone further advance until first light next day. The 47th Commando making for Port en Bessin had had a sharp fight at la Rosière earlier that evening and it was dark when they reached Point 72, the prominent hill a mile and a half south of Port en Bessin; they dug in there for the night ready to attack in the morning.

Leading troops of the 56th Brigade had also passed through la Rosière and turned southwards astride the road to Bayeux. As they approached Pouligny radar station the enemy set fire to it and decamped. The South Wales Borderers, in the van, pushed on to Vaux sur Aure and secured the Aure bridge shortly before midnight. The nearby battery had been shelled by the cruiser Argonaut and the vicinity had been bombed; it was now found deserted. The 2nd Essex on the left of the brigade advance had meanwhile reached St. Sulpice after meeting 'light enemy forces' and the 2nd Gloucestershire had followed into Magny. In those positions they were halted for the night. The brigade had been concentrated in the woods between Buhot and Ryes before six; it had taken four to five hours to advance about three miles, though virtually unopposed, and Bayeux was untaken.

On the left of the 56th Brigade, the 151st had moved forward in two groups supported by the 90th Field Regiment, R.A. Starting, from near Meuvaines the right hand group, led by the 9th Durham Light infantry, took roughly the line of the Crépon Bayeux road. On their left, the 6th Durham Light Infantry and a squadron of the 4th/7th Dragoon Guards went south from Crépon to Villiers le Sec and there turned westwards towards Bayeux. Between Crépon and the Seulles the 69th Brigade met considerable opposition from a battle group of the 352nd Division. Its 915th Grenadier Regiment stationed near Bayeux had been ordered, early that morning, to move westward to deal with a reported airborne landing between the Vire and Carentan. When it was proved that no such landing had taken place but that a battalion round Mont Fleury had been overwhelmed, the grenadier regiment was ordered to retrace its steps, to move eastwards and to counter attack towards Crépon. On the way back one of its battalions and some assault guns were diverted to oppose the threatened American penetration at Omaha. The rest of the battle group consisting of the 1st Battalion, 915th Regiment, the 352nd Fusilier Battalion and ten guns of the 352nd Anti tank Battalion reached the country between Villiers le Sec and Bazenville at about 4 p.m. In the ensuing fight with the 50th Division, the German commander was killed and his infantry forced to withdraw across the Seulles, where some were taken prisoner near St. Gabriel by troops of the 69th Brigade who were already south of the river.

[snips 20-odd pages]

Chapter XI. CONSOLIDATING GAINS

JUNCTION WITH AMERICANS, page 231-232

While the 8th Armoured Brigade was thus fighting its way southwards towards Tilly sur Seulles the 151st Brigade had reached the high ground astride the direct road from Bayeux to Tilly between the Seulles and the Aure. The 56th Brigade on its right had taken Bayeux (on the 7th) and, having occupied defensive positions blocking approaches to the city from Caumont and St. Lo, captured Sully on the Drome after a tough fight but were unable to take the enemy's main defences west of the river. In the coastal area the 231st Brigade had pushed westward taking the Longues battery position with 120 prisoners. Empty shell cases showed that the German guns had fired 115 rounds before they were finally silenced by H.M.S. Ajax on D day; two had been put out of action by naval shells which passed through the embrasures and the whole area was heavily cratered.

Two miles further westward the 47th (Royal Marine) Commando had begun a stiff fight for Port en Bessin early on the 7th. It lies in a hollow between high cliffs on which commanding strong points had been constructed in positions which were difficult to reach. While a damaged wireless set was being mended and supporting fire arranged, fighting began in the narrow streets and packed houses of the town. In the afternoon H.M.S. Emerald and three squadrons of rocket firing Typhoons attacked the overlooking strong points and first a post on the edge of the town and the positions on the west cliff were taken. Then in the gathering dusk the Marines began to scale the eastern heights and attack the stronger position on the cliff top. Fighting went on throughout the night and not until four o'clock on the morning of the 8th was the position taken; the commander with three hundred of his men surrendered. The capture of Port en Bessin had cost the Marines heavy casualties but the harbour was to prove of great value, and almost before it was safely in our hands naval parties had been landed to survey its facilities. The 231st Brigade had gone on to capture a strong position on the river Drome near Port en Bessin on the 8th and had made first contact with American troops fighting eastwards, but between there and Sully the enemy still held the west bank of the river Drome in an effort to prevent the link up of the British and American bridgeheads.

There is a chunk in the first passage repeated from the above on the 915th counter attack.

[ December 21, 2006, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]