Strada in Chianti

July 27th, 1944

By the last week of July the allied advance on Florence had been shifted to the SW of the city, where the 6th South African armored and 2nd New Zealand divisions were battling their way over a series of succesive ridges in short, alternating hops.

On July 23rd elements of the New Zealand 5th, advancing west of Route 2, fought their forward to capture the Villa Bonazza and Villa Strada, a fight that culminated in the bagging of the first Tigers by New Zealand troops.

Two days later the 5th Grenadier Guards of the 6th S.African armored division captured "Grenadier Ridge" a series of peaks just north of Greve on route 222.

This bought both divisions up against the 'Olga' line, the first of two intermediate delaying positions the I FJ Korp had established south of the city. Here Field Marshal Kesselring wanted to make a stand, but losses incurred from the heavy fighting forced him to withdraw northward to the 'Paula' line, the next defensive position.

On July 27th units of the Petoria regiment and 3rd Coldstream Guards, both from the 6th South African division, began their advance up route 222 in pursuit of the retreating Germans. Their objective was Strada in Chianti, an important crossroads town located 6 miles of Florence.

How 'bout some pics?

Chianti-NW.JPG

This is looking NW towards the town of Strada in Chianti. The distance from the map edge at the bottom of the pic to the town is 2.5 kilometers. The dirt road running WNW eventually leads to a bridge spanning the Borro Calasino.

Chianti-NE.JPG

Here is the aforementioned bridge. The Borro Calasino is typical of the many small streams in the area, with numerous places to ford for both men and machines.

Chianti-SE.JPG

Here we are looking back towards the SE from the village of C. Poggio. Route 222 takes a 45 degree turn to the NW just before the farm of V. La Palagione.

Chianti-SW.JPG

This is looking to the SW, with the bridge over the Borro Calasino to your right and the South Africans coming up on your left.

Chianti-NW2.JPG

This view is looking straight up route 222 towards Strada in Chianti. The distance from the bend in the road in the foreground to the center of Strada is just shy of 1 kilometer. The road dips down before slowly rising again as you near the town.

Chianti-SE2.JPG

Finally, the prize. From the upper story windows of Strada in Chianti one has pretty good LOS to most of the map.

As before, this one is still in need of briefings, but otherwise is ready for testing. E-mail me if you are interested, or otherwise keep an eye out for the release at The Proving Grounds

Special thanks to my partners in crime, Richard Simovitch for his help with the maps and Erik Springelkamp for hosting the pics.

[minor rant]

BFC, we need more options for map design! Two types of crop tiles doesn't cut it. Get rid of the shack tiles, we can do fine with the 1-story light buildings, and give us actual cultivated fields:

Italy%20-%20Tuscany%20-San%20Gimignano%20sunset.jpg

Italy%20-%20Tuscany%20Rolling%20Hills.jpg

[/minor rant]

[ January 04, 2006, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

I've been looking for a meaty scenario to play as the Commonwealth and this looks just the job. Would anyone like to take this on as a PBEM?

Serious players only please, i.e. you have a realistic idea about the commitment required to finish a 65+ turn scenario.

My email address is in my profile if interested.

Naturally, Kingfish, I'd send you feedback on the battle as we progress.

Cheers

*sniff* What canna I say? Itsa bella map, so bella, it makes a you want a sing...

Che bella cosa una giornata di sole,

un'aria serena dopo la tempesta!

Per l'aria fresca pare già una festa...

che bella cosa una giornata di sole!

Ma un altro sole

più bello non c'è

il sole mio

sta in fronte a te

Il sole, il sole mio,

sta in fronte a te

sta in fronte a te

Luccicano i vetri della tua finestra,

una lavandaia canta e si vanta...

mentre strizza, stende e canta.

luccicano i vetri della tua finestra!

Ma un altro sole

più bello non c'è

il sole mio

sta in fronte a te

Quando fa sera e il sole se ne scende,

mi viene quasi una malinconia...

Resterei sotto la tua finestra,

quando fa sera ed il sole se ne scende.

Ma un altro sole

più bello non c'è

il sole mio

sta in fronte a te

Watch. Now some culture grog is going to swoop in and point out that's a Neapolitan, not a Tuscan song. Show off.

P.S. Kingfish does it again!