HL 210 P45

I am posting this thread in the hopes that one of this community can help me out. I am currently looking for performance data regarding the early model Tiger, FGST 250001-250249, detailing the tank's performance with the HL 210 P45. I have data for the HL 230 P45, but cannot locate anything for the earlier engine. I have been told that this data should be available in the chassis manuals for the appropriate chassis numbers (FGST #), but I have not been able to locate such data on my own to date. Can anyone help, please?

Thanks in advance.

Maybach HL 210 P45: 21.353 litre V12, Petrol, Water Cooled, 650 PS, 3,000rpm.

(PS is a measure of power I don't recognise - could be pound-feet/second. For comparison the 230 P30 is listed as 700 PS)

Data from Chamberlain, Doyle, and Jentz.

Thanks for the responses so far. The Chassis manuals for the Tiger that I have been able to glean information from only detail information for the later engine. Below is the data I have:

With HL 230 P45

Max speed 1st gear 2.8kmph (1.8mph)

Max speed 2nd gear 4.3kmph (2.7mph)

Max speed 3rd gear 6.2kmph (3.8mph)

Max speed 4th gear 9.2kmph (5.7mph)

Max speed 5th gear 14.1kmph (8.7mph)

Max speed 6th gear 20.9kmph (13mph)

Max speed 7th gear 30.5kmph (18.9mph)

Max speed 8th gear 45.4kmph (28mph)

Max speed 1st reverse gear 2.8kmph (1.8mph)

Max speed 2nd reverse gear 4.3kmph (2.7mph)

Max speed 3rd reverse gear 6.2kmph (3.8mph)

Max speed 4th reverse gear 9.2kmph (5.7mph)

In Combat Mission, there is a distinct difference in automotive performance between the two engine types. I did a little test, a sort of drag race between the two over different terrain types and elevations (inclines, etc). Predictably the Tiger with the later engine won hands down. The acceleration, climbing, power, and overall automotive performance were markedly superior.

Back to the topic, what I am specifically after is the data that established the performance of the earlier engine type. I am no engineer, so calculating the difference between the two P:W ratios and translating that into specific performance parameters would not be something I know how to do, given that all other parameters (transmission, steering drive, weight, ground pressure, etc.) remain constant. Thanks again, I hope to resolve this issue before loosing much more hair (not that I have much to spare) biggrin.gif

The Axis History forums gave me this to chew on:

The speeds you mention would be the same for both engines. Since they use the same gearbox and both had a maximum of 3000 RPM.

The speeds you specify are the ones specified at 3000 RPM, the engines top speed. The HL230 would accellerate a bit faster off course.

I reality, the engine would not be driven constantly at the max RPM.

You should also keep in mind that steering the tiger was a combination of selecting one of the two steering gears with the steering wheel, in combination with the sected driving gear and engine RPM. So changing engine RPM also changes the steering radius.

According to "Wa Pruef 6" documents, the slope climbing ability increased from 30 deg to 35 deg.

Note that on later HL230 engines the max RPM was reduced to 2500. The effect on the max speed in each gear should be obvious.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Rob