I'm no expert.

When one dies in the group, it is assumed that the bullets he was carrying are lost. Additionally, the amount goes lower if the group is in motion vice stationary. So while in the foxhole the remaining guys will remove the bullets from the wounded guys body.

As for quantity. I'm not sure. Just loose 1 of the 2 guys in a bazooka teanm and you'll go from 8 to 3 rounds - right now.

DB is correct when referring to bazooka teams, MG teams, etc. It takes one guy to fire the weapon, but he is only carrying a small amount of ammo. Especially with MG teams, if they get hit on the move they will lose a lot of ammo fast. But firepower stays the same because there is only the one weapon firing.

However, this is not the case with rifle squads, which Free Work asks about. Ammo does not go down with the loss of a squad member; instead firepower goes down but ammo stays the same. Ammo is depleted only through firing: each time a squad fires, the number is lowered (and it is a bit variable depending on the type of firing).

Just wondering, though...why didn't they just do the obvious: instead of some abstract average (I mean, if the numbers don't reflect the situation precisely, why not have gone with "full", "half", etc. or some kind of bar graphic), just show the actual number of rounds left across the unit, like how it's done for vehicles and fixed positions...?

IMHO It is because an infantry unit, unlike a vehicle, can have up to 12 different weapons. When individual members of the squad are killed their ammo is lost. Like wise, sometimes units "forage" around for ammo. It would clutter up the screen too much, having ammo displayed for every rifle in a squad. As for "a bar graphic" rather than an abstract number, you can download this as a mod. I'll find the link and post it here soon.

Sorry, I was wrong. I must have been thinking of the second mod on this page: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/TC%20quick%20overview.htm

It converts health states (rested/ready/tiring/etc.) to a health bar, but not ammo.

Funnily enough, the guy who designed the mods on the linked page above was invited to do the interface design for CMBB. As a result, CMBB's interface includes a bar as well as a number to show ammo depletion.

v42below

[ July 13, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: v42below ]