Hold your fire!

I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious here, but I can't figure out how to order a unit to NOT fire.

For example, in a recent thread someone was discussing using sharpshooters to sneak to the back lines as scouts. This seems to work ok as long as the unit keeps on the move, but sometimes I want to order units to hide and NOT fire, setting up an ambush for approaching enemies.

It seems that units in hiding will fire at will against targets of oportunity. I understand that a unit will defend itself if engaged, that is realistic. However there have been occasions where units in hiding have fired first against approaching enemies, ruining an ambush I was trying to set.

Ok that makes sense. Also please answer a question about cover arcs. Since you can set the distance of the orange arc as well as width, will a unit fire beyond that range shown if the enemy is within that arc?

In other words, lets say I set a 45 degree cover arc straight ahead, but only like 10m out. An enemy is directly ahead at a range of 60m, would they be engaged?

No, the unit will only open fire against enemies that are both within the range and angles of the arc. Very rarely, a unit will override the arc and engage an enemy unit that has detected it and is shooting at it at very close range, or in the case of an antitank gun, a tank that has spotted it and is engaging.