New to Operations, am I about to learn something the hard way?

GDog

I am playing my first operation, I am assaulting in a static operation.

After re-reading my manual regarding operations I am re-thinking my strategy but do not want to abandon my carefully laid plan.

Without revealing too much detail, it's a day / night / day operation. I had planned a night assault against a target that would be far more difficult assaulted in daylight.

Now I'm worried that my enemy may re-deploy significant amounts of troops or reinforcements to that flank / target and repel the attack, only to the re-deploy again to his original positions for the final battle!

Also, I understand that my assault force may be "padlocked" but as long as they have not engaged prior to the assault jump-off time ( after dark ) I'm not too worried about resupply until the 3rd battle.

What is it I am asking here you may wonder, I guess I'm just making sure I fully understand the new level of strategy involved with an operation.

For static operations you get to redeploy as long as you are not padlocked or a stationary unit ( emplacements etc..) and no-mans land shifts according to the amount of ground gained /lost by either side. At the same time, ground captured or occupied by the attacker ( in an assault operation as is my case ) becomes part of, or factors into the re-calculation of the attackers new deployment zone.

Am I on the right track here?

This is getting INTENSE :D and I freakin Love it!

Originally posted by GDog:

For static operations you get to redeploy as long as you are not padlocked or a stationary unit ( emplacements etc..) and no-mans land shifts according to the amount of ground gained /lost by either side. At the same time, ground captured or occupied by the attacker ( in an assault operation as is my case ) becomes part of, or factors into the re-calculation of the attackers new deployment zone.

Am I on the right track here?

I would say that you are on the right track. At the end of each battle new setup zones are drawn based on the troop movements of the previous battle. If you advanced, you will have a larger setup area. If you were forced to retreat, your zone will be smaller. You have free reign in redeploying your forces after each battle, unless you've imposed a "play as they lay" rule on yourself.

If you have units far in advance of the rest of your forces they will be in no man-s land at the start of your next setup period. You can actually move them back into your own setup zone from no man-s land, but they will receive no resupply, no matter the supply level of your force. You can also decide to leave those men in no man's land, but you will be unable to move them at all, and they may end up on top of some Germans, depending upon how the lines were redrawn.

The only units that cannot be redeployed at the start of each battle are stationary units such as bunkers, pillboxes, and 88s and fortifications like roadblocks, mines, or trenches.