ATI Radeon bug still present in CMAK?

Sorry, pmiranda, no fix.

Apparently it's not a BFC issue but one concerned with ATi deciding not to include fog table emulation in their driver stuff (sorry, not very technical). Perhaps it's hard for them to fix.

There's a whole host of threads on this topic, if you're interested: just search the technical forum under "radeon AND fog" or similar.

Not sure if enough of us Radeon-users in the forum e-mailed our displeasure to ATi whether it would make any difference or not. They seem to respond well to the IL2 FB community.

I cheat and play at view level 3, so a lot of the visual embellishments escape me anyway (ssshhh...don't tell the grogs)!

Russkly

Well the Radeon series of cards are more then capable of displaying fog effects so I can't understand how it's ATi's fault if BFC choose not to utilise that hardware feature by programming their software to work with it. I'm also assuming Anti-aliasing won't work either with cmak as the CM engine doesn't utilise it, again not ATi's fault but a decision by BFC not to support it. nVidia cards still utilise the old dx 7.1 fog tables so are supported, ATi think they are archaic (and they are) so don't support thier use.

Simple as that. smile.gif

From a commercial point of view, it's obviously up to BFC to update its product so it meets ATI's requirements. After all, quite a few of us use ATI cards.

I'm very disappointed to see that in the 3rd game in the series no effort has been made to fix this, and even more considering that we have to pay a "full-game" price for what appears to be more like a scenario pack. Discounts for CMBO and/or CMBB owners would've been more than welcome.

I think I'll refrain from buying it this time.

First off let me make a few things clear.

#1 This is not a BUG, its simply a feature that ATI does not support, for reasons known only to themselves, in their Windows drivers. They do support fog tables in their Mac drivers.

#2 There is nothing for us to *fix* since it is not broken.

#3 The only other option to render fog would be to use vertex based fog. This would have required a significant code change and also would have drastically affected game performance. In a game like Unreal or Quake, your viewable distance it but a few hundred feet (if that). In CM, you have to remember that we have maps kilometers in size and all of it viewable. Adding vertex based fog at that level would have been a huge performance issue.

#4 Application based Anti-Aliasing is very rare and I can't think of any game today that uses it. Rather anti-asliasing is handled by the drivers and hardware themseleves and in the CM games, if you have it enabled in your video drivers, the game will benefit from it with smoother (jaggyless) edges.

#5 CMAK is already being offered at a low price of $35. The choice to buy or not to buy is yours of course but the addition of hundreds of new units, thousands of new sound effecrs, graphics and effects is much more than a "scenario" upgrade, as you so mistakenly called it.

Madmatt

[ December 02, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]