Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Video Card Problems

Ok, I've figured out the problem from the troubleshooting guide.

Problem: When game is launched it reports that a resolution of at least 800x600 is required in order to run but my desktop is set to 800x600 (or higher) already.

Cause/Solution #1: Whatever video card you have is not properly identifying itself and as such the game does not know what video resolutions it can support. You should reinstall the latest video drivers available for your video card (see notes about Nvidia drivers 41.09 and higher) and also reinstall/upgrade your version of DirectX.

Unfortunately, I do not have a NVidia graphics board, (I don't think), I have a "Plug and Play Monitor on Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller" -- The driver version is 6.14.10.3619

Even still, I managed to update the drivers, AND download the newest Direct X 9.0b.

Any help here, I just got a new computer and I can't get this to work. Thanks

Are you sure that's the reason, because it does seem to be a fairly good video card -- 64 mb. I haven't tried to play any other games yet, because this is a new computer. Just got it and booted up Barbarossa to Berlin, but I'll see if I can get something like Deus Ex or Quake 3 to work. Maybe even the first Combat Mission.

Your video is incorporated into the motherboard chipset and is an 845G. Here's the latest drivers for Windows XP (which is what I assume you're running). I can't recall the actual driver number compared to how Intel externally numbers their drivers. This chipset uses system memory for its display, therefore the 64Mb actually come from your system memory, leaving it unavailable for the OS and other programs to use. These 'shared memory' graphics displays are not very good performers since system memory isn't as fast as better video cards and the overhead of moving the data over the AGP bus also slows things down.

The 845G should be capable of running CMBO, CMBB & CMAK. It does not do fog however. It will do alpha-blending effects, so smoke, dust (CMAK) and transparent buildings will work (though on occasion some driver updates may make some of these effects look a bit incorrect). If you want fog, then a separate video card such as a GeForce 4 4200/4400 or something in that range should work fine. The MX cards also work, but don't offer as much performance (their less effective for the price) and the FX cards work, but may also offer less bang-for-the-buck, despite being newer.

What resolution are you running at ? I suggest setting your desktop to 1024x768 and then attempting to run CM. The initial refresh rates offered at 1024x768 may be too high for your monitor resulting in a scrambled display (only temporarily), a blank display, clicking, etc. If that is the case, then just let the game sit and it will automatically try the next lower refresh rate at that same resolution. Eventually something should come up on the screen that is visible and you can click 'Skip' to go to the next lower refresh rate or possible the next lower resolution or you can click 'Accept' to keep that resolution for CM. When you go down to the next lower resolution, it will display at the highest refresh rate specified by the video drivers which means that it may also not display properly on your monitor.

Once you've exhausted the refresh rates offered for the 800x600 resolution you might be offered a 640x480 resolution, but this really won't work for CMBB (the screen will only display a part of the interface, leaving a lot of buttons off the screen, etc.). After this you may get a DirectX error dialog box. This is normal (and can't be coded around to loop back to the highest resolution, etc.) since you didn't accept any resolution previously displayed it is assumed that there is something wrong. You can just restart CM again and go through the process again.

[ October 22, 2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

• 3 weeks later...
I had a similar problem with an integrated card. I was able to install a Geforce 2 card and disable the I810 card.

Panzertruppe, I just installed a GeForce 2 card for my PC and disabled the original video card through Control Panel Device Manager, but the game is still saying "This Game Requires a Minimum 800 x 600 display"

I'm thinking there still may be a few more options lying around the computer for me to fully disable the original video card -- Any help?

The 845G video should disable automatically when an AGP card is installed. Some BIOSes may make an allowance to have it run as a secondary display, but that isn't common to my knowledge.

You may want to check you CMOS/BIOS setup to find out what the 'VGA' or 'AGP' options are. You may have to tell it to 'disable' the built-in video (though this is automatic with most motherboards and this chipset).

You can also uninstall the Intel video drivers (they may be called 'Intel Extreme Graphics' or something to that effect). If your BIOS does a proper job of disabling the built-in video it should disappear from the Device Manager listing.

With your monitor now hooked up to the GeForce 2 card, run the DXDIAG (from 'Run') and run the tests for Direct3D and see if they pass. Also make sure that you are running at 800x600 or higher; CM is limited to the current desktop resolution as its maximum.

Delete your Prefs file before running CM (if you have one).

The 845G video should disable automatically when an AGP card is installed. Some BIOSes may make an allowance to have it run as a secondary display, but that isn't common to my knowledge.
It's a PCI video card.

You may want to check you CMOS/BIOS setup to find out what the 'VGA' or 'AGP' options are. You may have to tell it to 'disable' the built-in video (though this is automatic with most motherboards and this chipset).
Tried that.

You can also uninstall the Intel video drivers (they may be called 'Intel Extreme Graphics' or something to that effect). If your BIOS does a proper job of disabling the built-in video it should disappear from the Device Manager listing.
Tried that as well, the monitor started flickering and then somehow it managed to reinstall the Intel drivers on it's own, without my consent. (Luckily enough, I guess.)

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but CMBO works perfectly fine. CMBB does not.