Any BIGOTs out there?

Hey folks,

I'm on the lookout for good quality scans of the BIGOT maps of the NEPTUNE beaches; UTAH, OMAHA, GOLD, JUNO, and SWORD.

I've currently got half of OMAHA from Balkoskis site (whose new book on UTAH has just been released), and the GOLD map from National Archives (the orgn previously known as PRO), but the only other ones I can find are some decidedly poor quality scans associated with folks hawking them. Does anyone have links to good, preferably free, copies of the others? My super-ideal would include the beach sectors (Jig-Green, etc), if there's a choice.

Cheers

Jon

Originally posted by JonS:

Hey folks,

I'm on the lookout for good quality scans of the BIGOT maps of the NEPTUNE beaches; UTAH, OMAHA, GOLD, JUNO, and SWORD.

I've currently got half of OMAHA from Balkoskis site (whose new book on UTAH has just been released), and the GOLD map from National Archives (the orgn previously known as PRO), but the only other ones I can find are some decidedly poor quality scans associated with folks hawking them. Does anyone have links to good, preferably free, copies of the others? My super-ideal would include the beach sectors (Jig-Green, etc), if there's a choice.

Cheers

Jon

Hey Jon - shoot Ed Storey an email or post at my forum. He works for the Mapping and Charting Establishment of the Canadian Military Engineers and has more Canadian WW II artifacts that the Canadian War Museum in his house, including BIGOT maps of Juno. Can't promise he can help, but if you appeal to his love of military engineering, he might just do some scans for you.

Thanks Oz. I got this from another forum: D-Day map goodness so I think I'm pretty well set there.

Oh, well, if you've nothing better to do, the sheet south of GOLD would be nice, as would the sheet that covers Norrey Bocage (about halfway between Villers Bocage and Caen, just off the main drag), but it's not really that urgent or important.

Cheers

Jon

Originally posted by JonS:

the sheet south of GOLD would be nice, as would the sheet that covers Norrey Bocage (about halfway between Villers Bocage and Caen, just off the main drag), but it's not really that urgent or important.

Gold Beach and inland

Carpiquet to Tilly-sur-Seulles

Is someone thinking of designing an Epsom scenario, hmmm???

Edit: Here are a few more:

Easy Red and Fox Green

Spalding's advance inland

101st Abn Drop

82nd Abn Drop

6th Abn Drop

Utah and inland

Gap between Juno and Sword

German defenses on Sword Beach

BTW, here is a scan of aerial photo of sword beach looking inland. Reminds me of the scan of La Bijude you sent me a while back. Wide open and flat as glass, perfect Tiger country.

[ July 26, 2005, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Kingfish ]

Thanks King.

Chronicles is a good site, and I got a fair bit of info from there for Bieville. Unfortunately, in this instance, those maps aren't quite what I'm looking for. Although, in a couple of cases (notably that last SWORD one) the difference is probably so slight as to be trivial.

TBH, I don't know what I'm thinking of. After Hargest I've gotten a bit of a 50th Div bug, so I'm kind of chasing that down to see where it goes. Hargests descriptions, plus the landing tables led to the BIGOT map for GOLD from the PRO, which led to some other stuff, which led to ...

A scenario or two might come out of it all eventually, though not EPSOM I think.

Oh, that reminds me. I've got something for you at home. More later, although you might want to start looking up 144th RAC, Norrey Bocage, and 16-18 July.

Cheers

Jon