Spotting Ability

gh

Just curious, but do Scout vehicles have better spotting abilities then a tank? In other words, all things being equal ( same speed, un-buttoned, etc.), would a scout car spot an enemy before a MK III tank?

I'm wondering if there is a benefit of placing your scout cars out in front of your main force outside of the fact that since scout cars are "less expensive" than tanks, it's better to have one of them knocked out.

Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply. So, in the game, a Scout Car and a Tank would essentially spot the bad guys at the same time, but as you pointed out, it's better to lose a scout car rather than a tank. The reason I asked was that some games (e.g. Steel Panthers)give scouting type units increased spotting capabilities.

Originally posted by Alsatian:

German tanks have better optics in alot of late-war types. That info is there when you select a unit and press enter.

My question is: Is improved optics only a matter of better targeting at long range, or does better optics also mean better spotting.

I think it's a bit more complex than that. Tanks with long range optics spot things at, umm, long range a lot better but things outside their immediate field of vision they spot less well. This simulates the narrowed field of vision of binos.

Some German tanks have both wide FOV optics and long range optics to get round this.

As ever, all this is in the unit detail and available from Falks site:

http://cmak.jemian.com/