Raid on Rommel

Does the AI set up the German defense in the "Raid on Rommel" scenario after seeing where the Brit units were placed? I've tried this situation about twenty times, and every time but one the German troops were so placed that the Brits couldn't move into a building without first crossing a trench or some other obstacle that wasn't visible during the set up phase. (Even that one time was a Brit failure: two Brit squads and their platoon leader got into a building on the ground floor without casualties, but in the next turn the green Kraut squad on the second floor routed one of the Brit squads and inflicted heavy losses on the other squad and the platoon leader.)

Can the Brits win this one? I've been so discouraged after the results of the first fire exchange, that I've just surrendered and tried again rather than continuing from a hopeless position. The BEST result I've seen had the Brits only receive twice the casualties they inflicted on the Krauts; the worst had over 30 Brits killed or wounded and one German injured.

I can only imagine what would happen when the German reinforcements from the nearby town arrive. I may try firing the mortar at the German HQ and then shooting up the townies when they arrive, but the stated goal is to kill Rommel so that approach is definitely gamey.

First of all, you should post a SPOILER ALERT in the headline or at the top of the body of the post any time you post the details of a scenario.

As to the AI set-up, when you are selecting the scenario, one of the options is to choose whether the AI gets free set-up or is forced to use the default set-up, which is the one the scenario designer left it with. Sounds like you have been picking the free set-up option. If you attack along predictable lines, you shouldn't be surprised if the AI anticipates you. It's pretty sharp that way, I've found.

Michael

What scenario is this "Raid on Rommel" you speak of? Where did you get it?

In my CDV version CM:AK there was a "Find the Fox" which plays exactly the same though. This is one of the more amusing scenarios. How I managed in that is as follows...

**********WHOA DOOD SPOILERZ HERE**********

Trench or barbed wire are not visible during the setup because they are "enemy units" and not terrain features.

I tried the scenario using "scenario default" setup for the troops, this is the way it should be played. The resistance would be much worse with free AI setup, i.e. you would be unable to even get inside the first big building without taking heavy incoming. Also, the German side does not have enough trench & barbed wire to block your advance completely even with free setup, not by a long shot? At least in my version of the game. I ****ed around with a "free to place units" and not once did barbed wire and trenches block all my approaches. However there was too much infantry around. Notice! There are walls and other stuff on the way, however. This cannot be avoided.

However its far from walk in the sun even so.

After reading the briefing I didn't wait for any resistance during the first 60 seconds and advanced too far with two squads, more or less like you did in your single "succesfull" approach. What happened was exactly like you described (a green squad of Krauts appeared and peppered a lot of Brits from the 2nd floor of the building).

This was not a good thing. I think the scenario is made so you have to try a few times to get the result you want.

The second time I approached with more stealth, set up a good base of fire from the palm trees inside the HQ compound and stormed the buildings in two waves.

After the reinforcements from the town started arriving I had both buildings in control and shot the OPFOR to bits in the open. Use your single mortar to smoke areas in critical moments, use your Bren guns for support and be very liberal with spending ammo (i.e. area fire at will if you don't have good targets) as this is a short scenario, it helps keeping the Kraut heads down, and after you have a clear route bring in your AT-rifles STAT.

Did you play long enough to enjoy all the vehicles coming your way?

I managed a major victory the third time I tried, casualties 64 infantry, 2 vehicles destroyed and 1 gun lost for the Germans, 30 for the Brits. The green German squad in the second floor is really hard to take down succesfully & without a lot of casualties IMHO.

Of course, we might be talking about a different scenario and my post was useless.

I didn't use a spoiler alert, because my Brits ran into a different German set up each time I played. You know there are going to be Krauts in the HQ compound; you just don't know where they're going to be. And, given the goal of killing Rommel, you always want to kill as many of the Krauts as you can in the ten minutes available.

Almost every time I put my assault force on the Med side, there was a trench or barbed wire (or both) right in front of them. If I concentrated my units inland from the Med, the fixed defenses appeared there. That's why I wondered if the AI was positioning the defenses in light of the Brit set up -- hardly realistic for a surprise assault.

My most successful assault occurred from the Med side through the front "gate" when the AI had placed neither a trench nor barbed wire in the way. I got a good force into a building with no casualties on turn one, but the greenies upstairs shot the hell out of it on turn two.

I've tried sneaking up to the walls on turn one with an assault over a shorter distance on turn two, but my Brits don't sneak very well. The sneakers just take casualties without inflicting many. (And sometimes the guys who sneak next to the wall refused to stop there and instead moved over the wall into another Kraut kill zone.)

If you can handle the frustration, this situation can be played over and over.

One of the replies did explain a major annoyance I'd had: why I couldn't see trenches and barbed wire before positioning my units. I'd forgotten that such "fixed" defenses are among the forces to be positioned by my opponent. Another CM change to consider might be to allow a scenario designer to specify either simultaneous or sequential (defender then attacker) set up.

Another CM change to consider might be to allow a scenario designer to specify either simultaneous or sequential (defender then attacker) set up.
Or you could pay attention to what I told you and use the default set-up for the defender. That way, after one playing you'd know where all the trenches and barbed wire were going to be. Hell, you could even take a screenshot and print it out to help you remember.

:rolleyes:

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Another CM change to consider might be to allow a scenario designer to specify either simultaneous or sequential (defender then attacker) set up.

Or you could pay attention to what I told you and use the default set-up for the defender. That way, after one playing you'd know where all the trenches and barbed wire were going to be. Hell, you could even take a screenshot and print it out to help you remember.

:rolleyes:

Michael </font>