21st Panzer on D-Day

A little off topic for CMAK, but I'm looking for information about the 21st Panzer's attack between Juno and Sword beaches on D-Day.

Any info the grogs could spew would be much apprecited. Even better would be pointers to some books on the subject.

I'm currently working from Six Armies in Normandy (John Keegan) which mentions the attack, and its lack of success, but doesn't really say much else.

Thanks much!

--Chris

Originally posted by Maastrictian:

A little off topic for CMAK, but I'm looking for information about the 21st Panzer's attack between Juno and Sword beaches on D-Day.

Any info the grogs could spew would be much apprecited. Even better would be pointers to some books on the subject.

I'm currently working from Six Armies in Normandy (John Keegan) which mentions the attack, and its lack of success, but doesn't really say much else.

Thanks much!

--Chris

It really depends how deep you want to go into the subject and how much money you want to invest smile.gif

Invaluable on the subject, because of their incredible detail are the following three:

Perrigault, 21. Panzerdivision, Heimdal ISBN: 2-84048-157-X

Bernage, The Panzers and the Battle of Normandy, Heimdal ISBN: 2-84048-135-9

Bernage, GOLD JUNO SWORD, Heimdal ISBN 2-84048-168-5

Their detail and quality is unique and necessary if you want to know who was where and when.

Also, to get a broader picture about 3rd IDs perspective and some interesting post war analysis, I would recommend to have a look at these two:

Reynolds, Eagles & Bulldogs in Normandy 1944, Sarpedon ISBN 1-86227-201-8

Delaforce, Monty´s Iron Sides, Sutton Publishing ISBN 0-7509-0781-9

Not in the same league but interesting to read nevertheless also are :

Ramsey, D-Day Then and Now, After the Battle Vol2 ISBN 0-900913-89-4

Kilvert-Jones, Sword Beach, Pen+Sword Books ISBN 0-85052-673-6

There´s much more about it out there but these are the most relevant works which cover the subject in sufficient detail for scenario design.

cheers

Helge