Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMX2 : looking for scenario and QB bones

Folbec

There have been many discussions on the simulation part of the future engine, with quite a number of bones thrown out, but on the other big aspect of the game we know very little (unless I missed some posts) :

- Operations are out, replaced by "campaign" :

Good riddance, operations were indeed almost impossible to make right, or to play test, but I'm not quite sure I'll like "campaigns" more : i did not play eichenbaum (looks somewhat like the description of a "campaign") for instance, because it was focused on one side and play vs AI, while I prefer Russian and play vs human player.

- terrain will be much more detailled : here the quality of the editor will be critical. Will we get as many scenarios, or will the entrance cost be higher ?

- will we get more control on victory conditions in scenarios ? The assault / attack / probe / ME point formulas did not always work out right for specific scenarios.

- will it be possible to edit maps between QBs on the same map ?

- and so on ...

Lets collect the available campaign types:

</font>

• String of linearly connected maps, one-dimensional movement (CC3)</font>
  • Moving window approach: current battle is taking part on a moving section of a larger map. (CM)</font>
  • Array of maps that can be connected freely based on the designers' rules and the evaluation of the battle outcome (EYSA). Scripted approach telling a story.</font>
  • Array of maps that are nodes in a network (CC4, CC5)</font>

Since they seem to abandon the "window" approach and seem to avoid the "network" approach, I think a system close to the "scripted approach" has to be expected.

Best regards,

Thomm