Sooo.. anyone else dissapointed about the patch?

Panzer76

Ok, so the community raises alot of issues they want to see improved upon or fixed in the 1.02 patch, since BFC said it would be the last. BFC says the pacth will be comprehensive and complete as it is the last one and time pass, and pass.. and pass...

Finally, after god know how long, the patch is ready, which you would assume is the most tested patch in BFC history since its the last AND they had all this time.

And we end up with THIS? A elementary bug which should have been discovered by a 10 year old playing the game. And no game fixed except the bunker firing slit. Rest is TO&E.

This is the first time BFC really has dissapointed me. I hope it is not a sign of future service and support from BFC..

Matt said it best...

As the Beta Test Lead, if you want to point the blame at someone, it is with me, and NOT my testers. Obviously, I was extremely upset that the PBEM bug got introduced, but to the testers defense, Charles has acknowledged that it occured very late in the test cycle and due to some other internal changes he was making to properly support all the various versions of CMAK that now exist.

As soon as I got word of a potential issue with 1.02 (less than 24 hours after its release) I strove to minimize the exposure of the patch and worked with Charles to identify and fix the reported bug. We have now done so and as soon as we run some more tests we will announce and release the new 1.03 patch.

I am sincerely sorry for anyone that downloaded the 1.02 patch and might have lost a in-progress PBEM game.

However, let me stress that I will not allow people to chastise my core of testers. They give of their time and resources freely and wish only to improve the games that they are assigned to. It isn't fun (I see to that!), its hard work and I am very proud of my team.

A cursory glance at the past will show clearly how dedicated we are to fix problems that crop up like this and we are going to do the same this time.

So, for now, sit back, let us get this all fixed and for the moment SHUT YOUR PIE HOLES!

I was optimistically hoping that since CM2 was supposedly being worked on concurrently with the CMAK patch, that they would drop some experimental goodies on us. Just to see how we would feeedback on it. I should drink less I suppose.

I have the 1.02 patch and given the list of changes; what could have taken so long to playtest? Many of the changes have, as you say, no impact on the real gaming issues. What real playtesting is needed for a tripoded Bren LMG?

Since it is 'free', there is no real point in complaining. But I do feel like my favorite band has released a really bad album.

I was a QC manager in a previous lifetime (8 years ago), then did a slew of computer work as a consultant, and a mess of playtesting for game companies. Upgrading anything bites.

My two cents - things happen. Was it negligence on the beta testers part that the patch didn't work with PBEM games? Maybe. Was it just a last minute mix up? Maybe. Was it there all along during beta? Most likely not.

What's important is that it will be fixed, no animals were harmed during the filming of this movie, and we still have the frosty beverage of our choice available to cry into.

Edit: I was writing this as rune responded - so it was as I thought - a late, 'harmless' change caused the issue. Been there, done that!

Charles has confirmed that the bug was introduced very late in the developement of the patch, most likely one if not the very last build. It was an unfortunate occurance to be sure but we already have a fix for it and as soon as we run some more tests with it and build the new installers we will release it to the public.

We have been very clear on where our focus has been since CMAK was released last year. That focus is with the next generation engine and this caused work on the 1.02 patch to take longer than normal.

Plus, we also had to create and test the dedicated Australian Military version which chewed up a good deal of our developement time this past year.

And don't forget, while Combat Mission might be our most well known title, it is not the only one. We already have four announced new games coming out in the coming months plus some other goodies we haven't even mentioned yet. Things here are very busy but we are still just a small team of dedicated people trying to work 30 hours days on a planet where the sun comes up every 24. ;)

Madmatt