Need info on battle for Platamon ridge

Kingfish

I'm not sure whether this will be helpful, but you might try the following book.

21 Battalion.

Author(s): Cody, Joseph F., 1895-

Publication: Wellington, War History Branch, Dept. of Internal Affairs,

Year: 1953

Description: xv, 471 p. illus., ports., maps (part fold. col.) 23 cm.

Series: Official history of New Zealand in the Second World War.; v. 6;

In the US, the following libraries have copies.

DC LIBRARY OF CONGRESS

DC US ARMY CTR OF MILITARY HIST

AL US AIR FORCE, AIR UNIV LIBR

AZ ARIZONA STATE UNIV

CA SAN JOSE STATE UNIV

IL CENTER FOR RES LIBR

IL SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIV

MA HARVARD UNIV, HARVARD COL LIBR TECH SERV

MD US NAVAL ACAD

MI UNIV OF MICHIGAN LIBR

NC DUKE UNIV LIBR

TX TEXAS A&M UNIV

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Looking for any information on the battle for Platamon ridge, Greece, April 16 '41. This battle pitted the NZ 21st Battalion against elements of the 2nd Panzer Division. Mainly looking for a good map of the area, and NZ deployments if possible.

Kingfish, I've found two 1:100000 maps (Murphy's Law sez every battle is fought at the join of two or more maps....) and McClymont (auth) Official History of NZ in the Second World War 1939-1945 Vol. II "To Greece" in the AWM.

Text is five page description of battle and line map titled Germans Attack 21st Bn Above the Platamon Tunnel . Maps are of Platamon area.

Will scan and send text on Friday afternoon AEST.

I've ordered copies of maps from AWM and they should be available on Saturday AEST.

No, but I do have my own copies of The Relief of Tobruk, The Battle of Egypt: The Summer of 1942, Alam Halfa and El Alamein, Bardia to Enfidaville, Italy, vol 1: The Sangro to Cassino, 2nd New Zealand Divisional Artillery, and the Engineers one, whose title I forget right now ;)

Kingfish - it took a bit longer than expected, but it'll be done this weekend (along with a few other goodies ;) )

Regards

JonS