Reading on Australian role in the Middle East

Will I gather from your 'melb' part that you are in Melbourne and if you are then I can only recomend Hylander's Military Bookstore in Flinders Lane in the CBD as the best specialty bookstore to check out if you haven't already done so. The other place is Readers Feast Bookstore down the stairs near the corner of Bourke and Swantan Sts. It's got a fairly good Military section in it. I think that I've seen Divisional Histories in both for each of the 3 Aussie Divs that served in the Middle East.

I have a copy of Chester Wilmot's 'Desert Siege', also and IMHO I remember it being quite a good read for a book that was writen in 1943 IIRC! If you feel that you need to be inspired to actual get around to reading it yourself I recomend watching the B&W film staring Richard Burton called "The Desert Rats", which is actually a fictionalised depiction of the last Aussie Infantry Battalion in the Tobruk garrison right up to the relief in November 1941. The film doesn't have anything to do with the 7th Armoued Division whatsoever, given the name strangely, but greatfully, though it ought to have been titled "The Rats of Tobruk", but anyway.

Regards,

Saul.

Originally posted by ozi_digger:

Have you tried the Official History series?

To Benghazi, et al?

The Australian Official Histories for both wars are now on line (and available for downloading if you want and can spare the time and dwonload allocation).

URL is: Australian Official Histories

While you are at the AWM site why not look at their bookshop ?

Cheers

Edward

PS can also recommend Hylands (if in Melbourne) or some of the good second hand book shops around like my mate's (and I don't get commission!)

Adelaide Booksellers