Released for D-day, a new Normandy CMAK Operation "Lingevres"

Inspired by my recent trip to Normandy and two visits to the village.

Get it here

http://www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/

Title: Lingevres

Type: Static Operation (Allied Attack)

Date: 14 June 1944

Region: France (CMAK Italy)

Weather: Warm, Clear, Dry

Terrain: Farm and bocage

Battles: 5

Turns: 25+

Night: None

Author: Cory Runyan

Background:

Lingevres lies 7 miles south of Bayeux, on the D13 just west of Tilly-sur-Seulles. On 8 June 1944, the Panzer Lehr division, one of the strongest and best armored divisions in the German army, arrived in the area to hold the town.

On 14 June the 151 Infantry Brigade of the British 50th (Northumbrian) division, was ordered to take Lingevres and the village of Verrieres to the north. The 151 Brigade consisted of three battalions of the Durham Light Infantry 6,8, and 9 D.L.I.; tough Geordies, many of them from northern mining families. In this attack, the task of taking the town of Lingevres fell on the 9 D.L.I., supported by the tanks of A Squadron of the 4/7 Dragoon Guards.

This operation covers the action on 14 June, when the 9th Battalion Durham Light Infantry attempted to take, and hold, the village.

Author's Notes:

This operation is based upon a particular engagement. I tried to make it as historical as possible, but I am sure there are some inaccuracies. Feel free to contact me, if you want to discuss the finer points of the historical engagement.

This operation features a combined arms battle on a map 2km by 3km. It is intended for 2-player play, but could be played as the Allies against the AI.

This operation simulates one full day of action. There are no night battles.

References:

Georges Bernage, 'The Panzers and the Battle of Normandy', Heimdal Press

Christopher Dunphie, 'Gold Beach', Battleground Europe series

Battle of Lingevres, http://www.glcoupar.freeserve.co.uk/battleoflingevres1944/index.htm

PRO document WO 171/336, 30 Corps "G" War Diary, 1944, Immediate Report No. 4. dated 17 Jun 44.

A personal visit to the battlefield, May 2004.

Der Kessel Scenario Design Group

www.derkessel.org

Blitz Computer Wargaming Club

www.theblitz.org

crunyan99@yahoo.com