British Armored Recce Regiment question

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Did the 11th Hussars have Sherman Fireflies as part of their TO&E circa '45, from say Op Plunder on. If not, was it strictly Cromwells and A/Cs, or were Challengers and/or Comets thrown into the mix?

As far as I can make out from Joslen, 11H were Army Group troops, and no longer in the orbat by 15 May 45. This would make me suspect that they were still, as they were in the desert, an armoured car regiment, as distinct from an armoured recce regiment, and so should have no tanks on the strength.

The page at http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paterson/battles1945.htm

seems to confirm that they were in armoured cars, but says that they were subordinate to 7th Armd Div. This disagrees with Joslen, whos says that the div recce regt at the time was 8H.

All the best,

John.

[ May 14, 2008, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: John D Salt ]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by John D Salt:

The page at http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.a.paterson/battles1945.htm

seems to confirm that they were in armoured cars, but says that they were subordinate to 7th Armd Div. This disagrees with Joslen, whos says that the div recce regt at the time was 8H.

ISTR that from very roughly Aug-44 onwards UK Armd Divs had both an Armd Recce Regt, and an Armd Car Regt. What I can't tell you is whether these were a sustained affiliation relationships, or formal "you're part of that Div now" assignments.