Advance to the Volturno - New Battle Available

Znarf

Unfortunately I have been unable to get the "submit" command to work at the scenario depot... but you can download the battle here for now:

http://users.adelphia.net/~pefranz/advance.zip

This is an infantry battle with a few howitzer carriages on the Allied side.

Title: Advance to the Volturno

Ver: 1.0

Type: Allied Attack

Date: September 27, 1943

Conditions: Afternoon, Clear, Cool, Dry, SSE Breeze

Turns: 38+

Author: P. Franz

Designed for Allied Human v. Axis AI only

Computer should be free to place units

By the middle of September 1943, the British Eighth Army and the U.S. Fifth Army met southeast of Salerno and consolidated the Salerno beachhead. The Allied presence in Italy was now assured, and the methodical, bloody drive north began in earnest. Moving forward from the Salerno plain to the Volturno River line, the Fifth Army began facing hilly terrain and an enemy skilled in mountain warfare. German forces, chiefly from the 9th Panzer Grenadier Regiment (16th Panzer Division), used delaying tactics as they withdrew north. Often machine guns would dig into hillsides and rake down fire on advancing allied troops. Forward artillery also bogged down the allied advance. Blown bridges and mine fields were numerous, and bypasses were always difficult and at times impossible.

This is a fictional battle that takes place during the Allied advance from the Salerno region to the Volturno River.

Historical Resouces: Army Online Bookshelf

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/online/Bookshelves/Books3.htm

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwii/salerno/sal-fm.htm

SPOILER ALERT... SPOILER ALERT.... SPOILER ALERT

Hello Znarf,

I checked out your scenario and I did like that the map was long but didn’t care for all the German units being veterans and the German Headquarter units having all plus two leadership symbols.

Anyway good job on the map and I’ll give it a go as a TCP/IP battle later this week.

Originally posted by Kestrl:

SPOILER ALERT... SPOILER ALERT.... SPOILER ALERT

Hello Znarf,

I checked out your scenario and I did like that the map was long but didn’t care for all the German units being veterans and the German Headquarter units having all plus two leadership symbols.

Anyway good job on the map and I’ll give it a go as a TCP/IP battle later this week.

Good luck w/TCP/IP. I didn't design the battle for human v. human, thot - you'll see that the German side has no briefing - this is strictly an Allied Human v. Axis AI battle. But if it works as TCP/IP let me know (probably want the experienced player as the attacker). I increased German HQ units to give the Axis computer an advantage. When I design battles that can be played either way I usually accept the default values.

I checked out the battle in the editor and it looks unbalanced with what kind of equipment and the experience level of the German units.

I didn’t look at the briefings but I guess there really isn’t a reason to play as the Germans if there isn’t a briefing for them.

Originally posted by Kestrl:

I checked out the battle in the editor and it looks unbalanced with what kind of equipment and the experience level of the German units.

I didn’t look at the briefings but I guess there really isn’t a reason to play as the Germans if there isn’t a briefing for them.

As stated in the original post - this is designed as Allied Human v. Axis AI only. As for experience level, they are vets, as are the americans. If it were human v. human, it would be unbalanced. But this one is doable as an Allied attacker - provided you are not in the habit of charging blindly ahead!