1940 MODS

With the Sealion mods, Ed's Normandy buildings, Juju's English buildings, Hans' France 1940 scenarios, I am trying to put up all the grau mods for late war Italy.

Today, Artillery:

Sealion Field Guns. CMBB bmps renumbered for CMAK late war Italy.

In the picture but NOT included, Gautrek's pak guns renumbered, MB_GEM flak 88 and quad 20, they will be in separate zips.

Back up your files. Use with McMMM.

Also for use with early war France 1940 scenarios set in late war Italy.

Hans, welcome.

Now up:

Sealion PZII F Grau

Patboy's PZIIF desert mod converted with Irfanview to greyscale, then darkened 94.

Backup your files. Use with McMMM.

This tank was the only one that I could not find a mod for.

Limey has two PZIII F G H mods in CMBB. One dirty, one clean. Both work fine AFAICT.

At cmmods

Sealion Flak halftracks Grau late war

From the mod at CMHQ, renumbered for late war Italy.

Description from CMHQ:

Marco Bergman's and Gordon Molek's dunkelgrau FlaK halftracks for CMAK and CMBB. A significant revision of the SdKfz 6/2, SdKfz 7/2, SdKfz 10/4, SdKfz 7/1, FlaK 37, Quad 20mm FlaK textures submitted by Marco Bergman and Gordon Molek for inclusion in CMAK. Features an enhanced version of the tracked drive unit from the game's SdKfz 7.

Good idea but I don't know how I would do that other than text at a website like mine. I do try to keep the names consistant so that a search by keyword at cmmods will show all within a group.

I also have kept the files as VN=vietnam PAC=pacific SEALION=sealion etc.

Added Gautrek's dusty CMBB pak36 and pak38.

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Good idea but I don't know how I would do that other than text at a website like mine. I do try to keep the names consistant so that a search by keyword at cmmods will show all within a group.

I also have kept the files as VN=vietnam PAC=pacific SEALION=sealion etc.

Added Gautrek's dusty CMBB pak36 and pak38.

Maybe a picture of the battle (in general)-although for Suoi Tre we have actual ones in question with the title of scenario and a link to TSD and the scenario?

Hans, as in at my website? You have so many I would have to do pages and pages of pics and text, lol

Anyone know what uniforms in CMAK would work for the French in 1940? In late war CMAK the French have the mid war tan USA uniforms. I would like to do something different. The mid war Italian greens look close to the Dutch greens.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Anyone know what uniforms in CMAK would work for the French in 1940? In late war CMAK the French have the mid war tan USA uniforms. I would like to do something different. The mid war Italian greens look close to the Dutch greens.

Any ideas?

Hi Junk2Drive,

You can use french africa brown uniform, that's the good way .....and renumber all bmp's to use them in late war. Pat.

[ December 20, 2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: patboy ]

Bon jour (I think)

At cmmods

French brown uniforms for mid and late war scenarios. In CMAK the mid and late war French troops wear mid war USA uniforms. This mod is for 1940 early war scenarios set in the mid and late war timeframe in CMAK.

It uses BFC early war brown French uniform bmps, renumbered to mid war USA. As such they will change your mid war USA troops also.

Back up your files and use McMMM to swap these in and out to play mid war USA other French battles.

It does not include helmets. They are supplied by the game and do not need to be changed.

If the designer (like Hans) uses Rifle 40 platoons and support, you will have MAS rifles, Chatellerault and Hotchkiss MGs. The Springfields look close enough anyway not worth the swap. BTW Hans uses April May 1944 in most of his 1940 scenarios. Ah, Spring.

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Sealion and 1940 Grau Opel truck, Kubelwagen, and Gun Tractor.

BFC CMBB bmps renumbered for late war CMAK.

Use these bmp numbers to make your own mods of Andrew or Gautrek's KW, RKSoldat's truck.

KW and Gun Tractor share bmps for the seats and folding top.

• 2 weeks later...

French 47mm ATG

BFC CMAK yellow ATG shared by Italy and France, early and late war.

Converted with Irfanview to greyscale and darkened.

For 1940 Sealion or other scenarios where dark armour and guns would be the norm.

Back Up your files. Use with McMMM

Screenshot has a preview of my CMBB UI for CMAK mod. Coming soon.

CMBB User Interface mod for CMAK by Junk2Drive

Designed for a dark Axis retro look for playing scenarios in 1940, Sealion, Greece and Early War What Ifs.

contains bmps from:

CMBB User Interface

CMBB UI modded by J2D

CMAK UI modded by J2D

Gunrack from CMBB, Juju's Modslut series, Streety's CMAK Deluxe Dashboard mod

Some "In Terrain" windows for CMAK late war timeframe from CMBB and photos on the internet.

"Choose Game Type" black and white pictures from photos on the internet of early war French, British and Germans.

NOTE: Some of the backgrounds are hardcoded or I cannot find a bmp. Example, Loading 3D screen, Are You Sure You Want To Quit screen. This will be a dark red/brown and looks fine to me.

Back Up Your Files First. Use with McMMM.

I posted this at the CMAKdb in comments for Armour.

I went through the TANKS! website and the CMAKdb looking at only guns,

turret armour, and HE AP or Tungsten ammo.

The text is from the TANKS! website with my comparable units from CMAK. Any feedback would be welcome.

On May 10, 1940, there were almost 3500 battle tanks available to combat units located along the front facing Germany. Here is a breakdown in actual numbers. The remainder of France's tank force were located in arsenals or in training schools.

Renault FT17 534

Renault R35/40 1035

Hotchkiss H35 398

Hotchkiss H39 790

FCM 36 90

Renault D2 75

Renault B1 B1bis 313

FCM 2C 6

Somua S35 243

ACs

Panhard CDM 178 Armored Car

The Panhard is listed as the Automitrailleuse Panhard et Levassor Type 178. It was also known as the Panhard Modele 1935. It was developed from a design known as the TOE-M-32 and was intended for use in the French North African colonies. After the German victory it was taken into their service as the Panzerspahwagen P 204(f). It was produced after the liberation of France by the Renault factory outside Paris.

Specifications Crew 4

Powerplant one 6.33-liter water-cooled petrol

engine developing 105 bhp(78 kW

Combat Weight 8.5 metric tons

Performance 45 mph (max)

Length 4.79 meters

Range 186 miles (road)

Width 2.01meters

Armament armed at various times with a 37mm turrent gun, 25mm cannon, two 7.5 machineguns, or 47mm gun.

Height 2.31 meters

Armor ?

Obstacles fording 0.6 meters, gradient 40 degrees, vertical obstacle 0.3 meters, trench 0.6 meters.

CMAK Brit ACs Daimler etc.

CMAK other ACs *Brit RR / Deacon /* Aussie L3/33

Light Tank

The AMR 35

AMR 35 (Auto-mitrailleuse de Reconnaissance Renault, model 1935) Light Tank. aka Renault type ZT. Armed with a either a 7.5mm M.31 MG or a 13.2mm Hotchkiss MG or a 25mm Hotchkiss AT gun. A little slower than the AMR 33, the 35 was more comfortable for the crew. 200 were built.

Specifications Crew 2

Weight 6.5 tons

Engine Renault 4 cyl gasoline, 85hp

Length 12.6'

Width 5.34'

Height 6.18'

Performance 34.3 mph

Armament 7.5mm or 13.2mm MG or 25mm AT gun

Armor 13mm (max)

CMAK French Marmon 13mm or 20mm / Brit Vickers VI / Aussie captured M series

Renault FT-17/18 Light Tank

Known as the Mosquito. One of the most successful of all World War 1 tanks and probably the most popular and versitle light tank in history. It was the first of the classic tank design which featured a turret with a 360-degree traverse. Over 3000 were built during the war alone. The main drawback was the design took in little thought for maintenance and repair and the tanks broke down often as a result. The FT-17 was often used in mass attacks. 480 were used in the counterattack near Soissons in July 1918 alone. This tank remained in service right up to 1944 when the Germans used them in the street fighting in Paris.

An interesting bit of information: The American army's first run in with an enemy tank in WW2, during the landings in North Africa, was against this one. French Vichy forces, reacting to the invasion, advanced with infantry and 7 Renault FT-17's against 3 American Stuart light tanks (under General George Patton). The encounter left 3 FT-17's destroyed and caused the French to withdraw. The Stuart's never suffered a single hit.

Pictures: Top Row - FT17, FT18 (in color), FT18.

Second Row - FT18 (distinguished by the cast turret), command radio version (TSF).

Third Row - The char demineur - one of the earliest minesweeping tanks, char canon BS - a 75mm version which was encountered by the Allies after D-Day, char projecteur - a searchlight variant for police use, char fascine - an adaptation of the FT18 with a front cradle for carrying fascines which could be dropped into wide trenches.

Bottom Row - French tankers assemble in Somaliland, Africa in 1940.

Specifications Crew 2

Weight 14,520 lb

Dimensions length with tail 16' 5"

width 5' 7.33"

height 7'

Range 22 miles

Armor .63"

Armament one 37mm gun or MG

Powerplant 35hp Renault four cylinder

Performance maximum road speed (4.8 mph)

CMAK Italian Fiat (not available allies) / Aussie captured ?

Renault R-35/39 Light Tank

The R-35 was the most numerous of French light infantry tanks in service in 1940 with over 1600 units completed.

In 1933 the French High Command called for the design of a 6 ton tank as a replacement for the aging Renault FT-17. The vehicle was designed to have a crew of two and to be armed with one or two 7.5mm machine-guns or a 37mm gun. Manufactures that took part in design process were Renault, Forges et Chantiers de la Méditerranée (FCM), Compagnie Général de Construction des Locomotives and Delaunay Belleville.

The first prototype was manufactured by Renault at the end of 1934 and was based upon the Auto-mitrailleuse de Reconnaissance 1935 Type ZT. The vehicle was called the Renault ZM (prior to acceptance) and immediately sent into trials in the winter of 1935. By Spring, an order for 300 was placed. The tank was now called char léger modéle 1935-R (R-35.

A variation of the R-35 was developed by Atelier de Construction d’Issy-les-Moulineaux (AMX) which introduced a new suspension that consisted of 12 pairs of small road-wheels on each side mounted in pairs, vertical coil springs, and protective skirting plates. The tracks were like the Char B1. This vehicle mounted the long barreled 3.7cm SA 38 L/33 cannon. It was officially referred to as the AMX 40, but generally became known as the R-40. The sometimes seen designator of R-39 seems to have been a semi-official designation.

The Renault R35 better French tanks of WW2. Over 1600 had been built by 1940. Following the battle of, and fall of France many were pressed into service in the German Wehrmacht. This tank would see action in the Balkans and Russia in 1941.

Specifications Crew 2

Engine Power 85 hp

Combat Weight 23,375 lb

Max Speed 12.42 mph

Length 4.02 m

Range 86.94 miles

Width 1.87 m

Main Gun 37 mm

Height 2.13 m

Max Armor 40 mm

CMAK M5 Stuart

Hotchkiss H35-38/39 Light Tank (In French Service)

H38, char leger 1938 model H serie d, was the infantry designation for Hotchkiss H-39 tank. H39, char leger modele 1935 H modifie 1939, was the cavalry designation for Hotchkiss H-39 tank..Both H-38 and H-39 could have short or longer 37mm gun.

Hotchkiss H-39 Light Tank (In German Service)

Specifications Crew 2

Engine power 120 hp

Combat weight 26,680 lb

Max. speed 22.67 mph

Length 13.85'

Range 74.52 miles

Width 6.4'

Main Gun 37 mm

Height 7.05'

Armor 49mm

CMAK M5A1 Stuart

FCM 36 Medium Tank

Char Leger FCM-36 Infantry Tank (medium). Designed to accompany infantry, this was the first French diesel powered tank. 100 units were built, many were captured and used by the Germans.

Specifications Crew 2

Engine Berliet diesel, 91hp

Weight 12 tons

Length 14.58'

Width 7'

Height 7.17'

Performance 15 mph

Armament 37mm, 1 x 7.5mm MG

Armor 40mm (max)

CMAK M5 or M11/39

Char D2

Even while the Char D1 was being produced, work was proceeding on the Renault Char D2. Prototypes were fitted with turrets of the Renault FT-17 during mock up. Production models were fitted with the APX-1 turret. This turret was armed with a 47mm SA34 tank gun and a coaxial 7.5mm MG. The tank also had a bow 7.5mm MG. A few were re-equipped with the long barreled SA35 47mm cannon. 100 of these tanks were produced.

Specifications Crew 3

Weight 20 tons

Performance 23 kph

Armament 47mm, 2 x MG (ATG)

CMAK Matilda II

Char B, B1, B1-bis, B1-ter Heavy Tank

At the request of General Estienne and on the basis of previous studies worked out by Renault, Schneider, FAMH, FCM, and Delaunay-Belleville, a new battle tank was developed under the code designation of "Tractor 30". In 1929-30, three pilot models were built by Renault and FCM. These later became designated Char B. These three pilot models were extensively reworked and modified for tests. The first one, reengined and uparmored became the early prototype for the B1-ter in 1937. The Char B1 was the production version of the Char B. Production began in 1935. Only a small number were built before construction changed to the more powerful B1-bis. The B1-bis was the main battle tank of the French army in 1940. Considered one of the most powerful and advanced tanks in the world, it was hampered only by it's low speed and cost of production. The B1-ter did not go beyond protype stage. Studies started in 1935. Had the B1-bis been better employed, it would have easily defeated any invading German tank in 1940.

Pictures: Top Row - Char B, Second Row - Char B1, Third Row - Char B1 bis, Fourth Row - Char B1 ter

Specifications Char B Char B1 Char B1-bis Char B1-ter

Crew 4 4 4 4

Engine 180hp 180hp 180hp 310hp

Weight 25 tons 30 tons 32 tons 36 tons

Performance 12.5 mph 17.2 mph 17.2 mph 16.5 mph

Length ? 20.92' 20.94' 20.8'

Width ? 8.17' 8.19' 8.94'

Height ? 9.2' 9.17' 9.5'

Range ? ? 93.15 miles ?

Armament 2 x 7.5mm MG, 75mm 1 x 7.5mm MG, 45mm, 75mm 1 x 7.5mm MG, 45mm, 75mm 1 x 7.5mm MG, 45mm, 75mm

Armor 40mm (max) 40mm (max) 60mm (max) 70mm (max)

CMAK M3 Lee 3 turret

FMC 2C

SOMUA S-35 Medium Tank

The Somua S-35 was the world's first tank to be manufactured from a cast steel. In Service with the French army in 1936. Many experts regarded the SOMUA S-35, in 1940, as the best medium tank in the world. The vehicle was designed and manufactured by Société d'Outillage Mécanique et d'Usinage d'Artillerie (SOMUA) and comes from a requirement from the French High Command in 1931.

A prototype was produced during the Fall of 1934 and trials began in Spring, 1935. Successful testing lead to an order for 50 vehicles in the Spring of 1936. By May of 1940, the French army had over 400 in service which equipped the Régiments de Cuirassiers and Régiments de Dragons in the Division Légère Méchanique (DLM). Equipped with excellent cast and sloped armor, the tank was considered hard to kill by German anti-tank squads equipped with the 37mm AT Gun. A major drawback was lack of a two-way radio and a one-man turret.

Captured vehicles were used by the Germans.

Specifications Crew 3

Engine Power 190 hp

Combat Weight 42,997 lb

Max Speed 24.84 mph

Length 5.38 m

Range 142.83 miles

Width 2.12 m

Main Gun 47 mm

Height 2.62 m

Armor max 40 mm hull; 50 mm turret

CMAK M13/40

Other