Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBB - Does not run

Mer

Hello

I have the CDV version of CMBB bought in Finland.

Problem is, that the game does not run. All it does is spin the cd drive and show the splashscreen for a second or two, then all that remains is the normal desktop view. Ctrl Alt Del, shows Combat Mission 2 and another ~*something* processes when the splashscreen is showed, and none after it returns to desktop.

Probably it's an issue with the dumb copyprotection. I had a similar issue with Age of Mythology, and a no-cd patch solved that. However I'm not happy about searching or using 3rd party solutions, nor is it reliable anyways except for the biggest releases.

Rig has no burners, and the drives are pretty standard (1 x teac cd-rom, 1x pioneer dvd). I'm guessing both games use the same (new?)copyprotection that for some reason doesn't work with my hardware. Now, I'm not going to be all nice and sheepish and go buying new drives, or use virtual disks or whatever. Instead, I want the developer and the publisher to solve this problem. After all it is their duty to provide the customer with a working product. I know some companies which have had these problems in the past have sent modified, non-copyprotected files to their customers in return for some kind of proof of purchase, be it cd-key, serial number or whatnot. I don't particularly mind how it is fixed, as long as it is fixed, except about what I said above.

As far as I'm aware the CDV version of CMBB (CM2) uses the SafeDisc copy protection scheme. This scheme involves writing 'bad' tracks to the CD to prevent accurate copying. It's possible that your CD/DVD drives can't read the SafeDisc format very well.

To get the support you're requesting, you'll need to contact CDV at their CombatMission site (their homepage doesn't have a link to CM from what I can see). Click on the flag for the appropriate language (English may be the most apporpriate for your version) and you can download the 1.01 patch (68Mb - Downloads) and fill out a tech support request on the site too (Support). BTS/BFC will not (to my knowledge) send you out any non-copyprotected files for your CDV version.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

To get the support you're requesting, you'll need to contact CDV at their CombatMission site

Did that, dloaded the patch, which didn't help. And sent them a support request, from which I got the typically unhelpful automatic response and assurances I will be contacted perhaps some day in the year 2525. tongue.gif

Posting here was a last ditch effort after wasting the better part of the day trying to find solutions (legit and illegit).

IMO when the copyprotection schemes stop legit customers from using the product, I won't feel at all bad if the product is distributed freely illegitimately. I won't do it, but I will do naught but approve of those who do. Or in other words, if I'll need a 3rd party crack to play a game I paid good money for, maybe the next time I will just get the game free, at least that way I'll probably get it working. :(

Blame CDV then... their version has the SafeDisc copy protection, not the BTS/BFC Internet version. Unfortunately copy protection is very common for retail products and I don't see it going away, despite the technical problems that they cause. Activation codes are harder and more expensive to implement than disc copy schemes. On top of this they would cause their own frustrations.

BTS/BFC really can't give you any support since it is CDV's responsibility to provide that for the products that they distribute. No one here is going to provide you with a 'cracked' version of the game, legally or illegally. Though there are some threads dealing with 'virtual CD' software (which may not help you since it seems that your CD/DVD drives are actually incapable of reading the SafeDisc formatting).

Unfortunately CDV's support is slow to almost non-existant and we really can't help with that. Hopefully they'll respond, but I don't know when and if they'll be able to provide you with what you need. Since SafeDisc copy protection is something that they utilize on a lot of titles they may have some sort of policy regarding incompatibilities.

I assume you've already checked into any possible firmware updates for both of your drives which might affect SafeDisc compatibility ?

[ January 17, 2003, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]