yet another question - mods

I wouldn't take declarations of compliancy too seriously. It's a misnomer, because there is really no such thing as a CMMOS compliant mod. CMMOS gets rewritten to accomodate a mod. If someone didn't sit down and make the appropriate adjustments to CMMOS, nothing will ever happen.

Mods are frequently mislabeled as CMMOS compliant when they don't work in CMMOS. My favorite was when one modder decided he could make his mod CMMOS compliant by putting funny extensions on the end of the bmp numbers.

Back to your problem. Download the mod. Unzip it into a nice, safe neutral place. Take a look at the bmp's. Do they have funny numbers that look like 12345_sdwtr or are they just 12345. If the latter, no worries, it's not a CMMOS mod. If the former, start looking for rules and rulesets, and don't let the CMMOS-speak confuse you. A CMMOS mod will have, among other things, a zip file with textfiles embedded in it. If you don't see those rules (the textfiles) when you look inside the zip (which you can do withouth opening it, if you know how), it's not a CMMOS mod.

Let's assume that it is a CMMOS mod. You have two choices. You can download and install CMMOS 4.05, which you can get from CMMODS. You'll need this because CMMOS 4.03 which you can get from CMHQ only works with CMBO and CMBB. The best person to help you with that is MikeT, because I'm stuck on a customized version of 4.03 and can only guess at what goes on in 4.05. This is probably the best way to go.

The alternative, if you can't cope with CMMOS, is to strip the bmp's out of the CMMOS mod and remove the CMMOS extensions. Be aware that CMMOS is designed to accomodate multiple options, so when you remove the extensions you may find that you have five files with identical numbers that will overwrite each other. They can't co-exist in the same folder that way, so you'll have to isolate them in different folders.

When you have your naked CMMOS bmp's sorted out and separate from each other, you can then either add them to the game manually (copy and paste to the bmp folder the old-fashioned way, backing up your originals first) or zip them into separate zips and use McMMM to install them. Here again I'm not the best person to comment on this because I'm still an McMMM virgin, but it is probably the way to go. (I don't have CMAK and probably won't get it until I'm done working on CMBB -- but when I do I'll probably go the McMMM route, unless the elves do a magic CMMOS conversion number on CMAK. But last I heard the elves were on long-term holiday in Port-of-Spain).