Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

To those who crave CM: The War in the Pacific

PeterX

OK, here's my .02 cents on the- rescently closed-thread on the subject.

Take, oh, Okinawa (or Saipan or Guam or Iwo Jima)as an example. Think really hard about this; entrenched, seldom even glimpsed Imperial Japanese troops hunkered down in caves versus methodical, flamethrower wielding marines backed with crushing naval artillery. Where's the maneuver? Where's the interest? Most of the showpiece battles, with some exceptions, resemble less the engagements you're accustomed to in CM than pest control or whack-the-mole contests. Banzai charges were a feature in this theater. They were uniformly futile. Gonna order any? Notice there were no storm-the-beach D-Day scenarios in CMBO. Or even sand tiles. There's a reason for that. Some types of battles probably don't translate too well into the existing CM format. Thumbs down here on Combat Mission: The Pacific War.

OTOH, the rumored flexibility of the new engine may enable the depiction of the handful of interesting battles from that theater in mod format.

That the Pacific offers limited tactical challenges is a common, yet very flawed opinion.

Small unit actions, which have always been the focus of CM, occured just as often if not more so in the Pacific than in the other more accessable theaters.

I would strongly recommend some of the books by Hoyt or Aster or my personal favorite, Jack Coggins awesome "The Campaign for Guadacanal" for some insight into some of the action that a Pacific themed CM game might offer.

Do not think that we are against a Pacific game in the future. That is not true. What Steve might have said years ago does not reflect what we feel now. His comments seem to have been widely taken out of context. What was meant was that at the time, we had other games planed to release before a Pacific version would be considered.

Now that CMBB and CMAK are out and focus on a future and more expandable friendly game engine is in development, our options are wide open.

However, it is too early for us to make anouncements about any future CM titles, so this thread, like all the others that preceded it, will be closed.

Madmatt