jbertles

Take the role of Sgt. Sam Troy or Hauptmann

Dietrich as you relive the thrills of the late 60's

American TV show! Careen around the desert

on your dusty jeeps and shoot up trucks as

halftracks and armored cars spin around you spewing

dust like tasmanian devils on benzedrine! All you

need to complete the mission is a chewed-up

old cigar or a pair of aviator-style goggles.

At the Scenario Depot:

http://ns9.super-hosts.com/~dragonlair.net/combatmission/

Many thanks to Admiral Keth for hosting.

I tried your scenario and found it a lot of fun. I may try it again as Germans to see if I can get beyond the top of the hill. Or maybe play Allies again and try something different, racing down to strafe the convoy rather than setting up and killing them all as they come over the hilltop.

I wonder what is necessary to capture the flag at the far end of the map (away from where the Germans enter). I sent four jeeps down there (ones that had run out of ammo) and the flag still showed as uncaptured.

Thanks for sharing your scenario.

Lt. Badger

Hey Lt. Badger, thanks for the kind words. Do try it from the German side - I was surprised to find that it was just as much fun as from the side of the Rats.

And don't forget, whether you like the scenario or not, take a minute to review it at the Depot. Designers really appreciate that - helps us do better in the next one.

OK, I'm not sure how to do that but will go back to the Depot and see what to do. I think I'll play it again first so I can comment on trying different things - not sure what else to say but maybe an AAR kind of thing? Or would that be considered too much for a review, maybe would spoil it for others?

Lt. Badger

PS: Any idea on why that flag wouldn't convert? There were no Germans anywhere nearby, I even went back and looked after the game was over.

Just played it again as Allies, trying out tactics more like what they would have done in the TV show - racing down the German column blasting away with MGs, relying on the speed of the jeeps to make themselves difficult targets (at least I think that is the way they would have done it - I don't remember the show real well, I think I was maybe 6 or 7 years old when it was on). This tactic didn't work near as well as I had hoped - for one thing, the jeeps didn't follow their orders to keep moving, but would stop in one place and make themselves easy targets for the German armored cars. Most of the jeeps ended up in flames, although they took out a pretty good number of halftracks and armored cars in the process. Still, I think I would have lost if it weren't for the reinforcements arriving in time to take position around the nearest flag and hold it.

I'm going to try it at least one more time, as Germans this time, then will go to Depot and leave comments.

BTW, once it became clear that my men would hold, I sent a halftrack with a squad of infantry racing down the road to the far flag, just to test it, and it converted when they arrived.

Is that the standard amount of ammo for the Jeep MGs? That was one frustration both times, running out of ammo for the jeeps (although this time some of them got blown up before using all of their ammo, last time I just had a bunch of toothless jeeps that had to withdraw when they could no longer fight).

I don't know anything about scenario making, but is there a way to set the flag values so that the German needs to take at least one of them to win, but the American just needs to keep the German from getting them? Since the briefing set our mission as stopping the German column, there didn't seem to be any real reason for the Americans to need to hold those flag locations - except that without the flag points I would have had a much narrower margin of victory, probably a draw in fact.

I'll try it as Germans tomorrow night probably.

Lt Badger

Tenacious Striped One:

Unfortunately 15 rounds is all the Jeeps can carry, and they can't be edited for more. Pity. And although I haven't looked really carefully, I don't think that they are any SAS-type super-jeeps with scads of mgs and atrs.

As for the objective flags, I imagine I could engineer it like you mentioned by placing multiple flags in the objective areas. But it would have required a lot of fine tuning in points, and the chaos factor of battle would probably skew things anyway.

Well, tonight I was very happy that those blasted Crack Jeeps had limited ammo, as I played Germans and they gave me a very good fight. I can't say how it would go for a veteran player, but for this CM newbie your Rat Patrol scenario has provided three fun and challenging games.

I decided to play it straight as the Germans, giving my orders to follow the mission plan as if I did not know that the convoy would be attacked. My main problem in the first two turns was getting my trucks and halftracks to move up the road in an orderly fashion without bumping bumpers. On turn two I spotted some dust rising in the distance and decided that merited investigation, so on turn three dispatched one of the armored cars to have a look. Shortly after that the shooting started all around, but I'd gotten most of my troops to the first objective and managed to get them into cover in buildings and rough areas. After that it was a mix of my armed vehicles out hunting down jeeps while trying to keep from being hunted themselves, while the infantry dug in and made sure nobody would be able to budge us out of place. I ended up with a minor victory - would have done a lot better but for the last round of reinforcements, theirs trumped mine by far.

Here is some spoiler space for those who haven't played this scenario:

It seemed that nothing I had could even dent those blasted Stuarts! I still had 3 armored cars left when they showed up, plus one halftrack with a 37mm gun, plus those two vehicles that came in as my final reinforcements - and the Stuarts shrugged off every shot and killed almost everything that came into their LOS. I suppose if I had been patient they might have come in close enough for my infantry to kill them, but they seemed inclined to loiter around the far objective flag lobbing HE from a distance, and I had hopes that if I could knock them out I would still have time to race a truckload of infantry down the road to grab that flag. I even managed to maneuver the halftrack with the 37mm into position for a close-range flank shot on one of the Stuarts, but as soon as they got into LOS my driver screamed, "Mein Gott, a TANK!" and slammed that baby into reverse without firing a shot.

Three games in a row on this one scenario is probably enough for awhile, but I will try and write a nice review for the Depot, and look to see if you have any other scenarios that I can try out.

Thanks again,

Lt. Badger

Hey Badger:

Whoop-whoop!! Spoiler Alert!!

ElTee Badger - yeah, the Stuarts are definitely overkill. I would've much preferred putting in some M-8 Greyhounds, but they're not not available until later. But I figgered that the final Jerry reinforcements might be enough. Perhaps that deserves an edit.

Please do review it! I have one review already and I think I can browbeat one of my PBEM opponents into giving another. Once you get over 3 reviews then you can get placed on all kinds of other lists on the Depot.

BTW, I have a new scenario for AK in the works, but it needs to be tweaked. Soon.

I have several CMBB scenarios posted, most of them much larger and more involved than Rat Patrol, which was a quickie.

Go to the CMBB Battles Index, click on "T" and go to my scenario "Tankheavy...". From there you can access "other scenarios by this author".

My personal favs are "Tankheavy..." (very challenging), "Stronghold Reduction" and "Recon Essence"

Happy Merry!

Don't worry, I didn't forget - just had lots to do past few days with kids, visiting relatives, etc. Just posted review at Depot.

One thing about the numbers - since it was a scale of 0-10 I was taking 5 as an average score and working from there, but in looking at reviews on some other scenarios after I posted the review on yours, it seems that there is a bit of inflation and I hardly see anything below 7s.

My numerical ratings averaged out a bit over 7, which I intended to reflect that I liked it a lot. If possible, I would re-do my numbers to rate yours higher to account for this inflation effect, give you about an 8 overall. Anyway, I think my text says what I meant to say, so I hope that will count more than the numbers.

Lt. Badger