What is meant by the Region East Africa?

Yeah, Mick, I could stand another round of that too. Just one question: The general you keep referring to as Lentilhomme, I wonder if this is the same guy I've seen named as Legentilhomme. In any case, I have a suspicion that like so many of the senior officers in the Free French movement, he took a nom de guerre and that was it.

Michael

Originally posted by xerxes:

FYI, I have 2 east african battles (Gazelle Force & Retreat from Metemma) and one operation (Fort Gallabat) in production. An interesting little theatre where the carro armato is a fiercesome little tank! East Africa was a very impressive win for the British forces.

That's great news Xerxes, I look forward to them. I just spent a couple of hours reading virtually all of the website I linked to on the last page, and now have got the bug to try to create something myself. Can a CMAK map reach up several thousand feet :confused: :D

Originally posted by Pheasant Plucker:

Can a CMAK map reach up several thousand feet :confused: :D

It can if the lowest point is already several thousand feet high. ;) What I'm wondering is if your troops should be in a Weakened state due to altitude effects. I suppose Gurkas would do better...

Michael

Michael Emrys posted

Just one question: The general you keep referring to as Lentilhomme, I wonder if this is the same guy I've seen named as Legentilhomme. In any case, I have a suspicion that like so many of the senior officers in the Free French movement, he took a nom de guerre and that was it
Michael well spotted not a nomme de guerre but a merseyside typo! Sorry this is Legentilhomme. Has anyone found any lost 'eg' s?

He was commander of French garrison at Djibouti and defected from Vichy autumn 1940. He did not manage to persuade his erstwhile command to defect. A failure that irked de Gaulle enough to get a mention in his memoirs and caused allies difficulties over the subsequent period of 'hostilities' with the Vichy regime - Djibouti sitting right on the neck of the Red Sea had to be effectively blockaded.

Re-reading my own essay a couple of points that I didn't make clear.

The 13e demi brigade at Trentham Gardens - de Gaulles first cadre - were not Dunkirk evacuees but returnees from Narvik mostly - Foreign Legion. These did form the nucleus of the force in Central Africa as sent to, but not landed at, Dakar they did not return to England but were debarked in Cameroon. Their eccentric commander was Col. Magrin-Verneret he did use a nomme de guerre and is 'Monclar' in my account.

These troops eventually ended up at Keren (see the other links in this thread) and included an American Lieutenant John F. Halsey, a Legionnaire. This is a man I would dearly love to know more about - did he see action at Keren? What became of him? Was he in Syria and/or the western desert - because as two understrength battalions (2d and 3e battalions Foreign Legion) many of these men were with Koenig at Bir Hacheim.

At the risk of setting another Hollywood hare running was there an American at Keren and Bir Hacheim with the French Foreign Legion?

Anybody know?

A couple of good Free French links

Foreign Legion

This gives good info on the 13th Demi Brigade and its involvement in central Africa and Eritrea

Ordre de la Liberation

History and timelines for the Free French movement including the text of de Gaulle's speech of 18th June 1940 all well translated into English.