Commonwealth Machine Gun Battalions

Having tried to get a copy of Fenwick(?)'s book on the Middlesex MG Battalion and the experiences of a CANLOAN officer with them, I'm wondering if there are any other sources online re: MG battalions. I have a basic idea of the structure from Bouchery and some regimental histories, but as regards actual tactics, I have no idea.

Were MG dets under the command of an infantry battalion CO, or would they be assigned directly to infantry companies? Would they be commanded by the infanty coy OC or by their own officers?

How often were the MG companies so detached? Did they ever operate as a battalion? (I am thinking yes for stuff like Veritable?)

Who decided whom the 4.2" mortars were in support of? Divisional commander? Brigade commanders? Were they ever "on call" in the same manner as field guns?