Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

problems with MAC video display

I have Barbarossa to Berlin version 1.0 (recently purchased together

with Afrika Korps). I run a Powermac G3, running OS 9.2.1.

When launching the program the movie starts with sound, then is interrupted by a screen with the message "This game requires minimum 800x600 video display". I have tried every setting on two separate monitors from 800x600 to 1024x768 without any change in the above message. I have also deleted the Bynd Ovr Prefs file, with no result.

Help!

ahenon

Do you actually have 'Beyond Overlord' on your computer. The prefs file you specifically listed is actually incorrect. I'm not sure a Prefs file will get generated if you are unable to exit the program normally (Command-Q - Exit). I assume that you're running at 16-bit color or better on your desktop, is that correct ?

Are you actually booting into 9.2.1 or is this a 'Classic' load from OS X ? In order to run CMBB & CMAK you will need to boot directly into 9.2.x and not just launch Classic.

Do you know what video you're running in your G3 ? I assume that it is an ATI Rage 128 of some sort, but do you have any further details or are you using a different videocard ?

How up-to-date are you with your drivers ? You may want to upgrade to 9.2.2 to get the latest ATI drivers (I can't recall if there is any sort of difference between 9.2.1 & 9.2.2 in this regard). You may also want to update to the latest QuickTime version (which on occasion has updates for the video driver). You may also want to double-check what extensions and control panels are loading. If you don't have an Nvidia card in your G3, make sure that none of those extensions are set to load (though they probably won't fully load if a NVidia card isn't present). I also suggest disabling/removing the 'Classic RAVE' extension to see if this will help.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Do you actually have 'Beyond Overlord' on your computer. The prefs file you specifically listed is actually incorrect. I'm not sure a Prefs file will get generated if you are unable to exit the program normally (Command-Q - Exit). I assume that you're running at 16-bit color or better on your desktop, is that correct ?

Are you actually booting into 9.2.1 or is this a 'Classic' load from OS X ? In order to run CMBB & CMAK you will need to boot directly into 9.2.x and not just launch Classic.

Do you know what video you're running in your G3 ? I assume that it is an ATI Rage 128 of some sort, but do you have any further details or are you using a different videocard ?

How up-to-date are you with your drivers ? You may want to upgrade to 9.2.2 to get the latest ATI drivers (I can't recall if there is any sort of difference between 9.2.1 & 9.2.2 in this regard). You may also want to update to the latest QuickTime version (which on occasion has updates for the video driver). You may also want to double-check what extensions and control panels are loading. If you don't have an Nvidia card in your G3, make sure that none of those extensions are set to load (though they probably won't fully load if a NVidia card isn't present). I also suggest disabling/removing the 'Classic RAVE' extension to see if this will help.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Well, I'm a newbie in this place, obviously.

Yet, thanks for the tips. To answer your questions:

Yes I do have "Beyond Overlord" on my computer.

I am running 16 color or better

I am on a machine dedicated to 9.2.1, not a "classic" load from OSX

I am running an ATI Rage 128 -- but here's the possible rub: I notice that vido memory is listed as 2MG and I believe the requirements for this game is 16MG, correct?

I'm not sure how up to date the drivers are (this is a machine I've "inherited" from someone else) -- how do I find out?

Thanks again

If your G3 only has 2Mb of VRAM, then that wouldn't be enough to run either CMBB or CMAK (even if it were upgraded to the maximum of 6Mb). Do you know which specific G3 you have ("Blue & White", etc.) ?

If you have 2Mb of VRAM, then you should max out at 16-bit color for the 1024x768 resolution. The old (266MHz) G3's have this built-in video. The "Blue & White" G3 (350-450MHz) has a PCI card that is an ATI Rage 128 with 16Mb of VRAM, which should be enough to run either CMBB or CMAK on the Mac (though 32Mb is mentioned in the specs for CMAK).

You can run the Apple System Profiler and see what versions it reports for the ATI-related extensions. These extensions are the primary ones to look for:

ATI Video Memory Manager

ATI Video Accelerator

ATI Graphics Accelerator

ATI 3D Accelerator

ATI Resource Manager

ATI Rage 128 3D Accelerator

QuickDraw 3D

QuickDraw 3D RAVE

Here's the OS 9.2.2 Updater from Apple. To be honest it is mostly geared towards fixing issues with 'Classic' within OS X, but there may be a video driver update in there. OS upgrades are the primary way to get video driver updates for the Mac.