Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Setting display resolution - help

For such a great game and interface, it seems the graphics resolution setting interface is a bit archaic, but that aside, I need some help to straighten it out.

I was fine with a high resolution mode (not sure what since I'd set it awhile ago), but then during my first multi-player try last night, it blew up about an hour into play and I had to reboot.

Upon restarting, it asked me to select a graphics setting - lowest resolution(?) (640x480?) - it gave me no other options when I selected Skip to Next.

I've modified nothing with my system internals recently, so I would expect that all would be fine moving forward except for the small glitch involving the low resolution.

I have a GeForce II 64 Meg GTS which I've had no problem with in the past.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get my high resolution back?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. sorry if the solution to this has been posted in the past - couldn't find it.

Sounds like something has gone wrong software-wise on your computer. I don't think that CM is corrupt, but that you may have DirectX or more likely video driver problems.

Typically CM offers you the current resolution that your desktop is running at and a refresh rate that is the maximum supported by both your video card and monitor at that resolution. The next offering is the next refresh rate down and at the same resolution. At 60Hz or so is the next offering is the next lower resolution at its highest supported refresh rate, and so on.

If you're starting out at 640x480, then your video card may not be recognized as a 3D card and CM is only offering you a software rendered resolution (which on the PC maxes out at 640x480). I believe it should say something about 'softare' in the resolution selection box when this occurs.

What Windows version, DirectX version and driver version are you running ? Sometimes the solution is to remove your current video driver (and all related files/.INFs, etc.) and install your video card as a 'Standard SVGA', reinstall DirectX and then reinstall your video driver (with a number of reboots involved). Under WinXP reinstalling DirectX is a bit of a problem since Microsoft doesn't offer a separate DirectX installer for that OS. So just uninstalling and reinstalling the driver may work in that situation otherwise it may require a lot of OS reinstalling/restoring.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm running Windows 98 with DirectX 8.0.

Not sure which video driver, but I'm pretty sure it's up-to-date.

Since my CM was fine until it blew up for some unknown reason during multiplayer (has always worked fine with single-player), and I had a hard restart, is it possible something is corrupted?

Should my first step be to re-install CM?

If you want to try a reinstall of CM, go ahead. I'd suggest just deleting the Prefs file and copying the executable (Combat Mission.exe) and the TCP/IP OpenPlay file (TCPIP.DLL in the OpenPlay Modules directory. I assume that your CD has version 1.12 on it so you can just copy the files off of the CD, othewise execute the 1.12 update. The rest of your files, graphics and sound, should be OK (as a guess).

However I'd guess that something has gone wrong with your video driver/DirectX setup. Removal of your current video driver, a reinstall of DirectX (you may want to try DirectX 8.1b, since some newer video drivers may require this particular version) and setting up your video adapter as a 'Standard SVGA' temporarily. After installing DirectX you can then install a new driver such as 29.42, the current official release from NVidia.

[ July 20, 2002, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thanks for the help.

I began the day reading your latest reply, and gave it one last shot after making sure I had deleted the Prefs file.

I load up CM and, like magic, the first option offered was 1024x768 (same as my desktop) and I promptly hit Accept smile.gif .

The only thing I can say is that I changed the display settings for my desktop in hopes it would have some effect, but as of last night, it didn't, but with the restart this morning, maybe an internal setting was reset.

I wish I knew how it was rectified so as to help the next victim, but suffice it to say I'm happy right now.

Thanks again, Hollywood.