*Mod posted* - Far Horizons Desert Skies

I've been testing and using these a while and thought I'd put them out now in case anyone wants them. From the Readme file:

This mod alters the stock CMAK desert sky graphics to remove all of those hulking mountains which surround desert maps, while retaining the original sky graphics. It changes the clear, overcast, dawn and dusk desert skies.

I have left a few hills still dotted around the horizon, but the vast majority of it now looks empty, so it is a big change. The undulations on a game map tend to mean that the horizon itself is not properly visible unless you are viewing out from the map edge, but at whatever view level you prefer, the absence of those mountains should hopefully make you feel like you are now 'out in the blue'.

I keep these skies and the original skies in two sepearate sub folders in the CMAK directory, and would suggest that as a good way to use this mod, as it allows a quick copy and paste into the .bmp folder if you would like to see the mountains back into a game for any reason.

2004173897138435053991.jpg

The Italian theater skies are not altered by this mod. Available now at CMMODS.

I'm currently playing a PBEm of that great new Tobruk Easter Battles operation, and using this mod (clear sky in this battle) alongside the well designed huge, open, arid map honestly adds a lot to the immersion. As you say, it now really feels like you are in the middle of nowhere (soon to become hell judging by those dustclouds rolling in behind a far off gentle slope :( )

I'm getting interested in East Africa, so could be be pasting the mountain bmps back in for a little while in due course :cool: But the classic North Africa '41 and '42 era will always be my favourite period, so distant horizons will be in my game much more often than not.

Also to confirm to Lawyer that the Italian theater skies use different bmps to the desert skies, and are totally unaffected by the mod smile.gif