There is a God and his name is Chafee( j/k )

OK if you have CMBO special edition, there is a scenario called "Battle of the Bulge" Well it has like 55 chaffees against 20 King Tigers, againts the odds for chafees right? 7" of armor, 88mm gun, and 70 tons against a 1"-2" armored and 75mm armed light tank? They only thing the King Tigers lack is speed, they have range and accuracy far better than chafees. Yea sounds like slaughter, but no! Using fog of war, i carefull positioned my tanks to where they all lined up in the direction of this 1 hill that had the road on it. I knew that the tigers had to go down that road cause i read breifing and saw movie. When the king tigers rolled up that hill BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM!!! 10 Chafees fired away knocking out 5 King tigers. (all on the exposed sides of the tank) then i sent 15 tanks to attack the King tigers, they took out 3 more. there were also chafees on the other side of that hill so when the tigers tried to make a break and keep moving, BAM BAM BAM !! stopped dead in there tracks. Well they shot up about 20 of my tanks, but i battled on, wave after wave after wave of chafees at fullspeed firing away. In the end, 1 king tiger was left standing and 23 chafees lay burning. I was shocked!!! It was like nothing I had ever seen before,it had to been impossible. But it wasn't!!

[ June 18, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: TANK ACE ]

Sounds pretty exciting. I'll have to look at it. So the Chaffee's came out on top? Just goes to show you anything is possible. Now I wonder what would have happened had you been playing a live opponent? :D I do enjoy the Chaffee myself and some day Makjager will finish his mod of it and we will all have a really good looking one to play with. I like it due to the good fire power, for it's size and iy isn't that expensive so it's one of my favorites too, well plus I just think it looks cool even in it's current condition (mod).

This is the most gut-level gratification to be found in all of CMBO:SE, I do believe! Makes me wish for CM: Arcade Edition!

The tactic of bum-rushing the Royal Tigers is the only way to go, really. I like waiting 'til they're close, just summitting a hill, and then I come out from all sides -- even the front, once the lead elements turn around to face threats on their flanks and rears! I especially like driving a few Chaffees into the midst of a by-then gaggle-f'cked Royal Tiger column...lots of fun to watch their turrets traverse every which way!

The amazing thing is I created the scenario in a most un-grog state of mind. I had just completed the scenario "A Matter of Honor", which had taken me months to re-create the battle and do the best I could with the fort. I was so burned out on getting everything right so it could be historical, that I wanted to make a scenario to let off steam and to just have fun. So....I made the scenario on the Movie and not history. Battle of the Bulge was created...and was I shocked that people enjoyed it as a scenario to just let off steam. I used the tanks and terrain [it was filmed in Spain] from the movie.

I have just done the same with CMBB. I have a couple people playing it, but I re-created Rourke's Drift from the movie Zulu using CMBB. Drop me an email if you want to test it out, but it has to be two player.

Rune

I played that one too. To let off some steam. I find most scenarios to be balanced against the Germans. It gets frustrating with time. So its qite a relief to play one that is not. Battle of the Bulge certainly is not balanced against the Germans smile.gif

By mid-game, the Americans prudently surrendered, there being 70 burning Chaffees and 189 enemy casualties on the field, and 89 prisoners after the surrender. 5 guys got away somehow. Not sure how.

They did manage to damage the gun of one Tiger. That's it though.

There was this American crew that actually stopped in front of us and fired their pistols, before disappearing under the tracks. I'm not sure if this is to be called brave, but it did make an impression - not only on the ground.

Looked around, lit a cigarette and said to the US PoWs: "Gentlemen, that's why they call it the KING Tiger."

Then I went back to my frustrating Pbem's with a smile. :cool:

Cheerio

Dandelion

I disagree that "BoB" is not balanced against the Germans, as you say, like so many other scenarios. I've tried just charging down the road with my Royal Tigers, but the TacAI will simply pick 'em off from the sides if that's done: many times I've lost Royal Tigers to side penetrations from like 800-900 meters away!

In that regard, the TacAI seems stupidly aggressive. I mean, the only tactic is to ambush the Royal Tigers with a few bum rushes! But the TacAI just presents its units for target practice one after the other....

I've often imagined how I would handle a human player playing as the Nazis...but I conclude that, while they might get wise to ambushes, and scout out potential ambush sites, ultimately they will be bogged down by having to do recon in force so much that a war of "temporal attrition" (where I simply hold out until turn 40) will have me inevitably winning the scenario as the Americans....