"Lee" and "Grant", Combat doctrine query?

Emar

Did these tanks truly use their main and turreted weopons to aquire similtaneous multiple targets or was it more a matter of bringing all guns to bear on a single target?

Were crews trained to use the main gun only when the threat justified it? (much like U-boat commanders conserved torpedoes when the deck gun was enough to handle the job?)

Has any one seen any accounts of a "Lee" engaging 3 different targets with main gun, 37 turret, and mg turret?

Just kind of curious how these tanks divided their firepower(and if they often did) and how realisticaly the game engine will handle their use and AI target aquisition.

:D

Originally posted by Emar:

[snips]

Has any one seen any accounts of a "Lee" engaging 3 different targets with main gun, 37 turret, and mg turret?

No, but this description of a Grant in action is taken from Keith Douglas' "Alamein to Zem Zem" (Editions Poetry, London, 1946; Faber & Faber 1966 and 1992) gives the impression that Ken Giles, the man who provided this word-picture, at least tried. It also includes a reference to cheese:

"The "75" is firing. The "37" is firing, but it's traversed round the wrong way. The Browning is jammed. I am saying: "Driver advance" on the A set, and the driver who can't hear me, is reversing. And as I look over the top of the turret and see twelve enemy tanks fifty yards away, someone hands me a cheese sandwich."

All the best,

John.