Longest safe assault distance?

I was just wondering what was the longest assault move over open terrain that anyone has done. I ask this because oftentimes when I am about to have my infantry assualt the enemy, I wonder "Hmmm, 50 yards. Is it safe to assault over that long of a distance?"

Now, assault would be good because it has a morale bonus and your guys shoot a bunch. But it's bad because it takes a looooooooong time, exposing them to extra fire, and it is mega-tiring.

So, here's the situation. Your regular infantry platoon (no negative morale or tiredness) has to go 50 yards over totally open terrain to attack 2 slightly under-strength squads and an MG in woods. The enemy is suppressed, but not so heavily that you can guarantee that they won't pop up to shoot at juicy targets like your boys. What movement command would you use? Run for speed, assault for fire and morale, advance to split the difference, or sneak because you're dumb? Or something else?

I'd send ONE squad over on Assault. Leave the other two squads and your HQ to continue firing at the suppressed enemy. There MAY be another enemy squad or worse, still out of sight in them thar trees. I'd hate to have my entire platoon caught in the open.