The "Fortified Goose Egg"

Lately I've been playing with 3000 pt MEs vs the AI in which I pick both sides but play the Soviets - basically trying to see how the Soviets can beat the Germans at the time (pre T34/85).

The Germans get a Tiger, a couple of Panthers, a Pzgrenadier company, an atg and the rest in Stugs and MkIVs (mostly IVs).

The Sovs get 3 platoons of SU85s, a mech inf rifle company (+ sometimes a pioneer company), several atgs (45s and 76.2s) and the rest in T34/76s.

Medium woods, large hills, 40+ turns, dry

Since the German optics just crush the Soviets in hilly terrain at distance, the only strategy that I can make work is the "Fortified Goose Egg", a term I shamelessly lifted from the Battle of the Bulge.

Mount as much infantry as possible on most of the T34s (keeping a platoon or two of T34s and the SU85s for left and right flanking forces - like the horns of a Zulu impi) and race those tank/inf forces into a depression area someplace around the center of the map, preferably with objective flags in or nearby. Take advantage of any road plus the T34's speed.

The depression itself should be large enough to emcompass your force without turning it into a mortar trap. Some kind of cover near the rim is preferable.

Dismount the infantry and post them below the rim of the depression and sprinkle the tanks around the perimeter - don't forget to have some facing ACROSS the depression, not just outward.

Then, while waiting for the Germans to grind forward, use masking terrain to try to get your flanking tank and td forces into good enfilading positions. When the inevitable (but slow) axis assault begins on your FGE, use your flanking forces to get side and butt shots on the assaulting tanks (shoot and scoot works great here, especially with the SUs).

The key is that the German tanks have to come within close range - the rim of the depression - if they want to collapse the goose egg. At that range even the Soviet optics can work.

Now, is it gamey? I dunno; you're given a mission - take the objective; and if your only tactical advantage is in speed... Well you go with your strength.

Anyone else find any particularly useful strategies for that time? Or wish to weigh in on the gamey issue? Play a PBEM to test it out?

Lately I've been playing with 3000 pt MEs vs the AI in which I pick both sides but play the Soviets - basically trying to see how the Soviets can beat the Germans at the time (pre T34/85).

The Germans get a Tiger, a couple of Panthers, a Pzgrenadier company, an atg and the rest in Stugs and MkIVs (mostly IVs).

The Sovs get 3 platoons of SU85s, a mech inf rifle company (+ sometimes a pioneer company), several atgs (45s and 76.2s) and the rest in T34/76s.

Medium woods, large hills, 40+ turns, dry

Since the German optics just crush the Soviets in hilly terrain at distance, the only strategy that I can make work is the "Fortified Goose Egg", a term I shamelessly lifted from the Battle of the Bulge.

Mount as much infantry as possible on most of the T34s (keeping a platoon or two of T34s and the SU85s for left and right flanking forces - like the horns of a Zulu impi) and race those tank/inf forces into a depression area someplace around the center of the map, preferably with objective flags in or nearby. Take advantage of any road plus the T34's speed.

The depression itself should be large enough to emcompass your force without turning it into a mortar trap. Some kind of cover near the rim is preferable.

Dismount the infantry and post them below the rim of the depression and sprinkle the tanks around the perimeter - don't forget to have some facing ACROSS the depression, not just outward.

Then, while waiting for the Germans to grind forward, use masking terrain to try to get your flanking tank and td forces into good enfilading positions. When the inevitable (but slow) axis assault begins on your FGE, use your flanking forces to get side and butt shots on the assaulting tanks (shoot and scoot works great here, especially with the SUs).

The key is that the German tanks have to come within close range - the rim of the depression - if they want to collapse the goose egg. At that range even the Soviet optics can work.

Now, is it gamey? I dunno; you're given a mission - take the objective; and if your only tactical advantage is in speed... Well you go with your strength.

Anyone else find any particularly useful strategies for that time? Or wish to weigh in on the gamey issue? Play a PBEM to test it out?