Request new terrain tile/mod

Yesterday I was reading an article by a Soviet officer at the "GD for CM" site, in which he mentioned that one of the distinguishing features of Russian villages was the fenced-in gardens at every door. So I opened up a couple of the QB maps I'd downloaded and started adding little patches of brush in all the yards....I figure the terrain effects are about right to simulate these gardens(some concealment, slight slowing compared to open, little cover), and the 20m tile size seems about right for a serious vegetable garden.

But it sure would be nice to see neat little green rows of vegetables on tilled brown earth!

:)

Anybody think steppe or some other tile would be a more accurate stand-in for the typical large vegetable garden, in terms of terrain effects?

Tom, of Tom's CMHQ fame, was working on a really cool terrain mod for CMBO a while ago that substituted a vegetable patch for the brush tiles. I don't think he ever released it, but it looked great in his screenshots. At least I'm pretty sure it was Tom.

Someone just needs to make doodads that look like cabbages or zucchini or eggplant or somefink.

smile.gif

Yes you are correct SF Jaykey

Having lived and worked in Russia for about 8 years, I can tell you that one of the distinguishing features of Russian countryside villages are rows of little cottages (or Dachas) bunched up together, they are only seperated by fences surrounding their little square plots of gardens,

You notice the contrast of the Russian countryside immediately if you take a train into Russia from Finland or the Baltic States. Finland for example has farmland more similar to the midwest in the USA, You see farm houses surrounded by fields, there can be many acres distance between farmhouses. You do not have that in Russia.

This is partially the result of Stalin's collectivization in the 1930s and Russian history.

Oh also a Russian village will usually have a church in it too. Russian churches do not look like the models in CMBB. They have gold cupola domes on top of them, not crosses on steeples :)

It looks like Battlefront tried to compromise and make one model to represent both Russian Orthodox Churches and Cathedrals in Germany, East Europe, etc. Thst is understandable. Unfortunately the architecture between the two types of churches is so different, you really need 2 different looking models.

Well that is my two cents anyways :)

Thanks for the garden comments...sounds like I am on the right track in terms of simulation, and hope someone does the mod.

While I'm at it I'll request a new version of small heavy building: a chapel. I am told by those who have travelled the Russian countryside that these are all over the place, at least in areas that escaped the worst of Stalinization. Something like this:

suzdal4.jpg

On a related topic: I notice that each time the same map is reloaded on different occasions, the computer will pick from a variety of images or colors for each building type...is texture the right word? Anyway as I reload maps I am working on in the editor the buildings change color, roof type etc.

Is there a way to "pin" a certain appearance (texture?) to a building? Sometimes I would like to have all the blockhouses on a city street in a matching color, or choose the stucco house instead of the brick.

Thanks, Matt