Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Close air support?

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I'm not sure exactly how to implement it, but considering that Impromptu missions had to be requested the day before, maybe Impromptu missions have to be planned during setup rather than turn one or something (and therefore without the benefit of any fortifications, etc. spotted during setup).

Point of order, M'lud. Does counsel wish to claim that fortifications, etc. were thrown up overnight with no opportunity to be spotted by prior reconnaissance?

Michael

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Look at 'em, bless their hearts! Posting, discussing, and besporting themselves like gamboling little lambs.

The Peaceable Kingdom.

Grogs. Make ya' sick to your stomach, if they weren't so cute.

Forget your suppository again, Uncle Senile? Well, don't worry. We'll just send Rex the sheep out for some prune juice and you'll be right as rain in no time.

Say, that was a lovely poem. No, really. Who did you crib it from? Have any more like that? I think that's the kind of thing we need more of around here. But we really ought ot have one with airplanes in it considering the topic and all. Something about brave pilots going down in flames. You know, sort of being carbonized like.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

Say, that was a lovely poem. No, really. Who did you crib it from? Have any more like that? I think that's the kind of thing we need more of around here. But we really ought ot have one with airplanes in it considering the topic and all. Something about brave pilots going down in flames. You know, sort of being carbonized like.

Michael

I don't crib, lad. I quote, and sometimes play with. That would be Reginald Heber.

As to more Aeroplanes, I'll give ye a Classic, lad.

I know that I shall meet my fate

Somewhere among the clouds above;

Those that I fight I do not hate

Those that I guard I do not love;

My country is Kiltartan Cross,

My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,

No likely end could bring them loss

Or leave them happier than before.

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,

Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,

A lonely impulse of delight

Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

I balanced all, brought all to mind,

The years to come seemed waste of breath,

A waste of breath the years behind

In balance with this life, this death.

"An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

-W.B. Yeats

[ September 23, 2003, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Originally posted by Seanachai:

As to more Aeroplanes, I'll give ye a Classic, lad.

I know that I shall meet my fate

Somewhere among the clouds above;

Those that I fight I do not hate

Those that I guard I do not love;

My country is Kiltartan Cross,

My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,

No likely end could bring them loss

Or leave them happier than before.

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,

Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,

A lonely impulse of delight

Drove to this tumult in the clouds;

I balanced all, brought all to mind,

The years to come seemed waste of breath,

A waste of breath the years behind

In balance with this life, this death.

"An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

-W.B. Yeats

Now that's interesting! I've seen an abridged version of that poem attributed to John Gillespy McGee (and my sincerest apologies if I've misspelled the poor blighter's name). I never saw the Yeats version before.

[gets up from computer and goes over to bookshelf, pulls volume of Yeats and opens it to table of contents, scans quickly and..."There it is! Right on page 55 and I never noticed!" sits down dumfounded "What could I ever have been thinking of. Of course I was smitten with The Second Coming and could hardly see beyond it, but that's really no excuse. Apologies to the shade of William Butler Yeats."]

Michael

I never saw the Yeats version before...

You never saw the author's version before? Is that what you mean (you pillock)?

I stand ready to absolve you in the name of a great poet. Not because you necessarily deserve it, but because he's reputed to have had a great sense of humour.

And where is the sense of humour of our other Grogs, I ask you?

[ September 23, 2003, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I'm not sure exactly how to implement it, but considering that Impromptu missions had to be requested the day before, maybe Impromptu missions have to be planned during setup rather than turn one or something (and therefore without the benefit of any fortifications, etc. spotted during setup).

Point of order, M'lud. Does counsel wish to claim that fortifications, etc. were thrown up overnight with no opportunity to be spotted by prior reconnaissance?

Michael </font>

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Michael </font>