PLEASE help me with offensive tactics

Don't worry mate, I'm the same! My defending is ok because the AI is not as good as a human player in attack. When the AI defends it does well because finding defensive positions is easier than engineering a concerted and co-ordinated attack. Or maybe I'm just *r*p at this game! :D

[ April 09, 2003, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: tuhhodge ]

So what are you guys doing? Leading with your armor and getting it shot to pieces by AT guns and AI armor you never even see? Tactics that have worked in lots of other wargames will get you slaughtered in CMBB.

If at all possible, never, ever lead with your big tanks. There are too many ways for tanks to die without ever making a contribution to your attack. The first thing you must have in CMBB is the knowledge of where the enemy is. The best units for finding that out are your infantry.

Check out Soddball's FAQ thread for lots of help. Most important, don't give up on CM. Nobody on this forum has escaped having a "perfect" attack crushed by something we hadn't spotted. An AT battery, a minefield, a couple of tanks, even an air strike can spoil the best attack plan. :eek: That's why it feels so good when an attack actually succeeds. ;)

I like to keep my tanks far from the fighting and use them as mobile gun platforms (what a concept), using them to suppress and pin down an opponent more than actually killing them. Once the armour is laying down some good fire, drop a bunch of smoke close to your target (preferably with "spotter" arty because it creates more), then assault with your infantry (preferably more than one squad). Only once my infantry have cleared an area do I move my tanks up and repeat the process (hopefully). I find the instant I try to use my tanks out front, they get wasted.

Offensive tactic in a nutshell. Hardly foolproof. Things can go for **** in a real hurry but, it beats the hell out of watching your tanks get killed before you even know what's going on.

Mylo