An Operations question

In a static operation I am currently playing some of my units were moved small distances between the games. These were all moved within zones and were not moved very far at all. In all cases (that I noticed) no more than 10 - 20 m, just far enough to move them out of foxholes and into the open (which is rather inconvenient to me of course). These troops were all in the contested zone where you can't move the troops without moving them to another zone so I can't just correct the situation.

Is this intended behaviour and if so, what is the rationale behind it.

Posted by Sgtgoody

I'm not sure of the mechanics but I think the AI tries to give every unit its own space. If units are too close together at the end of a battle then it tends to move them around. Yeah it can be kind of annoying.

Yeah I suppose that could be it. Some of them were pretty close together. I can't really see why they needed to be moved though.

Just de-lurked to chip in on my pet hate.

It is infurating to have your troops dug in in a position where it would take the better part of an Armoured Division to evict you only to have them out in the open because the AI thinks it should re-arrange my lines. My infantry tends to be able to get to shelter before they get totally wiped out, but any AT guns and mortars are toast.

I too am curious why I should spend much of my time in setup redeploying troops I so very carefully deployed earlier.

Ah wel, at least since the previous patch you can withdraw any dangerously exposed units to behind your own lines, before that... the memory is too painfull. ;)